AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 241234 times)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Re: Fantasy Tactics: Job Set

Reply #30 on: May 30, 2006, 11:08:15 pm
Yeah it hought about the eyes before, but i also thought then that a person going into battle with the express purpose of killing lots of people wouldnt really be walking in with a big grin.  Unlesss people think its a real issue, i think all guys will be pissed off, and the girls will have a slightly less harsh but still not happy look
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #31 on: May 31, 2006, 02:13:44 am
 Heh, good idea. I say it's a good choice.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #32 on: May 31, 2006, 12:25:36 pm
Adarias that point of view would have more merit if the game was a harsh and gritty realistic battle simulator. But seeing how it is a Tactics thing, there's no violence in it. There's no killing. There's pretty colours and animations and numbers popping up above anime sprite heads and people doing a full 720 degree turn about themselves and then disappearing when they're 'killed'. Now I don't know on how many of these genre cliches you'll be faithful to (for all I know there might be super-deformed DECAPITATIONS and arrows realistically sticking in flesh and blood and battle awful) but seeing the design aesthetic so far, it seems to me this is heading towards nintendo feel. In this case, the characters might as well fight with a huge grin on their face, they're in fantasy-land where nobody ever gets hurt.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #33 on: May 31, 2006, 12:59:06 pm
Adarias that point of view would have more merit if the game was a harsh and gritty realistic battle simulator. But seeing how it is a Tactics thing, there's no violence in it. There's no killing. There's pretty colours and animations and numbers popping up above anime sprite heads and people doing a full 720 degree turn about themselves and then disappearing when they're 'killed'. Now I don't know on how many of these genre cliches you'll be faithful to (for all I know there might be super-deformed DECAPITATIONS and arrows realistically sticking in flesh and blood and battle awful) but seeing the design aesthetic so far, it seems to me this is heading towards nintendo feel. In this case, the characters might as well fight with a huge grin on their face, they're in fantasy-land where nobody ever gets hurt.
im not sure i really follow?
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #34 on: May 31, 2006, 01:01:05 pm
What bit is giving you trouble?

Offline Filax_666

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: May 31, 2006, 04:14:14 pm
Helm's got a point there...

...besides, a good game must have blood.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: May 31, 2006, 07:47:46 pm
What bit is giving you trouble?
Im just not sure where you got the idea that because it was a tactical rpg with more traditionaly rpg sprites (as opposed to realistic), that theres no violence or killing.  of course there is, (its a tactical rpg!)  you cut someone, they bleed, their hp reaches 0 they die, fall down. theres no reason that, just because the art is rpg sprites, that they should be made happy and stupid. 
In addition, even if death did take the form of spinning in circles and vanishing, if the 'death' is real to the characters, why would they be happy about it?  If the death and violence isnt taken seriously by the characters, they wont be taken seriously by the players, and the game and the story lose whatever importance they may have had
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 07:51:39 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #37 on: May 31, 2006, 08:15:13 pm
I don't think I've played any tactics game where the effect of death was attempted to have visceral impact. Even for the purposes of the story, I saw anime people be removed from what amounts to a drawn-out game of chess. The art style and other anime-centric conventions made the games so detached from any attempt at providing space for human drama that the stories themselves suffered even for the little they tried to provide. I'm glad you are trying something different, I fear you'll have to battle the art style you've chosen a little bit to get any of these aspects of death and dying to feel strong in your game. Good luck.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: May 31, 2006, 08:38:23 pm
Quote from: Helm
I don't think I've played any tactics game where the effect of death was attempted to have visceral impact.
Fallout Tactics.  Unless you meant to say animefantasyclusterbang themed tactics games, in which case no, there aren't :x which would be exactly why it would be so badass if Adarias pulled it off.
typing ewith fdace

Offline Ryuria

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: May 31, 2006, 09:07:05 pm
That is so awesome.

Do you mind if I try the style later? (Not gonna edit yours)