AuthorTopic: [WIP] Partisan Tactics Battles : Animations, woah  (Read 243416 times)

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: [WIP] Fantasy Tactics : Now with Create your Own NPC

Reply #130 on: October 01, 2006, 09:11:40 pm
And you might consider - I've never tried this out nor know if your engine can handle it, so this is just a brainstorm thing - adding a 1%-2% darkening to each layed (0% on the top layer, 2% on the next down, 4% on the one below that) creating a sort of darkening depth thing. That may look funny doing it dynamically, but I've created some (non-isometric) game art that did it manually - I knew the floor would always be exactly four tiles back, so I had a different set of tiles at a different darkness and scale to give the illusion of depth... plus, it paralax scrolled really nicely. The trick is, and I've gotten in trouble for saying this before, to make it almost invisible to the naked eye but explicit enough that the effect works.

That's a good idea. I've just talked about it with Adarias, we'll make it but not always black (blue ambiant, red ambient...). ^^
I'll redo the map display code including this new feature...basically it's just some hexadecimal calculation.
Thank you =)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #131 on: October 02, 2006, 12:27:26 am
Yeah, I have worked on a project that considered implementing this system before (its basically trying to emulate the atmospheric fog that many 3d programs can generate), but we were working with GM and the system could not handle it.  I hadnt thought of applying it to this project though until you mentioned it, thanks for the idea

----------

Also, this really belongs in the employment section, but i figured since we alreay have a thread here im just going to put this out:

We need portrait artists for this game.  My style of illustration/drawing works fine for concept art and traditional art, but this game calls for a style that is beyond me really.  Please PM me or Fil if you are interested in helping out, and include samples of the level of work that you know you can commit to.  We do not currently have a specific style that we intend to reach for, but we know that realism and my personal styles of representational abstraction simply do not fit, we are looking for something a bit more jpop im afraid (all of the older members cringe).  Anything from the smooth, 'simple' style of Nippon Ichi's artists (examp: http://www.dengekionline.com/climan/images/phantom_main.jpg) to the almost Mucca-esque softly rendered artwork from the Suikoden series (examp: http://www.dignews.com/admin/screenshoot/suikodeniv_artwork_03.jpg) would be fine, and anything in-between, as well as if you have your own personal style that still captures the feeling of game art.
As far as exactly what the game calls for, if you decide to join you will need to do a series of busts, all of the same portion of the character, which should be large enough to look good when scaled to fit into half of the window (you can see the text boxes?  the two halves of the space above them should be able to inculde on portrait each.  here are the 2 zones:
Beyond all that, you may use your judgement.  Thanks for reading :D
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Darien

• ...nine...ten...draw!
    • View Profile

Reply #132 on: October 02, 2006, 12:57:27 am
You're breaking my heart, Adarias.

But the new stronger outlines look much better.  The tall grass could stand to have some more contrast, maybe?  It looks all blurry and hazy to me, and when I look at it it takes me a second to realize what it is.

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation
Absolutely beautiful.  :'(
Am i right in thinking that some or all of the non-pixelart elements of the shop will later become pixelart?  :-X
If i ever have a load of free time when you're more sure about the sprites i'd be honoured to be able to make one too. :lol:
Good luck with the stuff you have to do next!

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
Larwick - perhaps, perhaps not, it depends on whether they can be pixelled to look better than they do now.

more updates on the pixel-art a bit later on this week, but for now, a continuation of the portrait discussion :

First off, thanks to those who responded to my post, support is always good :P

Second, this is just something to guage yourself by : this is a sketch of what we are planning to throw out, so we are looking for something similar to this, but better (and of course colored properly). 

Thanks again,

Nate
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 08:17:30 pm by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides
I'm forseeing huge problems with style clash. Never was personally a fan of pixel art and cg-portraits on top, I prefer when they're all made of the same thing, even sharing specific palette colors. I like cohesion and continuity. Furthermore, would you like specific critique on the placeholder portrait art?

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
I'm forseeing huge problems with style clash. Never was personally a fan of pixel art and cg-portraits on top, I prefer when they're all made of the same thing, even sharing specific palette colors. I like cohesion and continuity. Furthermore, would you like specific critique on the placeholder portrait art?

Feel free to critique the sketch, just keep in mind it's a sketch.  much of it will change (the colors, eyes looking the wrong direction, outline done quickly and badly, etc).  I trust in your judgement though.

Also, the portraits will be pixelart, not CG, but i simply havent been able to get a good-enough looking lineart to work from out of my own head, which is why we are looking for someone with game-art type drawing abilities
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Flame

• !
    • View Profile
I really like how this is progressing, might make a npc for kicks ._.

Good luck and keep motivated ;D
!

Offline Froli

• Dragon Highlord
    • View Profile
Made an edit on Xion Night's suggestion about "second from the left has a wierd butt"

Anyway, keep up the awesome work. I want to see this done in the future :)

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile
froli - yes, the butt was changed a while ago, and just not pictured yet.

thanks to everyone who showed interest in joining as a portraiter, we have chosen Tremulant for the postion.  We hope his talent and enthusiasm will bring a lot to the team and the project!

----

update following later tonight, or possibly tomorrow depending.
A mistake is a mistake.