AuthorTopic: GR#141 - Journey to Hammerdale - Zelda like Game  (Read 51198 times)

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Re: Journey To Hammerdale / PLEASE HELP WITH WALK ANIMATION

Reply #50 on: July 11, 2012, 09:14:31 am
hopoo, Grimsane - thanx for advices and for edit too, I keep it in mind! I will back to raider animations, but later - at this moment I want to take a break from this and switched to a new animations:

not perfect good, as allways, so i keep working on this
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 10:19:41 pm by Crow »

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

new stuff

Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 07:05:31 pm

work still in progress

Crow animation+city mockup and gui. I used chest from this pic by DawnBringer and map from Chaos Engine as reference.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 07:12:47 pm by winged doom »

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: Journey To Hammerdale (zelda-like)

Reply #52 on: January 15, 2013, 09:49:14 am
Looks wonderful as always.

Not sure if there's enough contrast between walkable areas and the walls - I would probably take the highlight off the main walls, so they're more like the building one from the left (which looks amazing).

Also the tiled roofs would probably look a bit better if you could see a small slice of the other side. 

Best of luck with your projects!

Rik

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #53 on: January 15, 2013, 03:35:58 pm
As a counterpoint to the earlier, I'm a female and I actually am quite annoyed by gratuitous boobs, because it makes me think the developer wanted to smack their device over the main character. Also it's very unoriginal at this point, everyone has a female character with a huge gaping boobhole in their armor. It would be nice to be treated a bit more respectfully and realistically in that sense.
It wouldn't be a point that I would drop a game over, but it does certainly reduce my respect for the developer. :l Also feels like a terrible disappointment that they could actually have made the decision to avoid this but decided to go with it anyway.

A post someone made that also makes a good point on a similar topic: http://weiss-rauschen.tumblr.com/post/40098127483/why-do-you-hate-the-shape-of-breasts-in-plate-armor-so
Also my art tumblr: ymedronart.tumblr.com

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #54 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:35 pm
I agree that there's a history of nonsensical female armor design in video games. However, tiny sprites can more effectively convey information about the character they depict when they're abstracted from reality. The art has to serve the design first, and readability is key. Maybe cleavage isn't necessary, but realistic armor (that deflects chest blows rather than guiding them into the sternum) would be visually ambiguous.

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #55 on: January 15, 2013, 06:28:11 pm
Hm, that is true as well. Though I feel that there is a solution for this that wouldn't really hurt the character design. I don't think having the gray area on the body extend higher up would hurt the readability much at all.

*shrug*

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #56 on: January 16, 2013, 09:12:45 am
Best of luck with your projects!

Thank you!

*shrug*

but.. IT'S A BOY! :D

I don't think that is gratuitous boobs.  I must say that Elsa (main character) is girl kind of "bavarian" body type. She's a bit plump and small and this describes her constitution.

Also it's very unoriginal at this point, everyone has a female character with a huge gaping boobhole in their armor.

I'm not trying to be original, but doing the game of my dream. So in this game all things (including her boobs) looks like I want and as I see it. Sorry ^__^

I agree that there's a history of nonsensical female armor design in video games. However, tiny sprites can more effectively convey information about the character they depict when they're abstracted from reality. The art has to serve the design first, and readability is key. Maybe cleavage isn't necessary, but realistic armor (that deflects chest blows rather than guiding them into the sternum) would be visually ambiguous.

If we're talking about realism, the claim is true, sir!

Offline Ymedron

• All draw and no paint!
    • View Profile
    • My Deviantart account

Reply #57 on: January 16, 2013, 09:26:05 am
Hm, I kind of expected that style of response, and am disappointed to see my expectations come true.

I personally would find it incredibly obvious that the character was a female overall, during gameplay as you can see the breasts on the sideview without the skin showing. The face and hair are also pretty feminine.

But it is obviously useless to argue this fact, so go on then.

Edit: I also apologize for my crass tone, it is an important subject to me but it's no reason to be rude.
Good luck in the future.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 09:45:08 am by Ymedron »

Offline Lilyo

• View Profile

Reply #58 on: January 16, 2013, 07:27:50 pm
I find the perspective to be very confusing right now. I would suggest messing with the contrast or saturation or hues or something to make the area where you walk more apparent, also to separate it from different layers like those that are higher up. I love the art style though.

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #59 on: January 29, 2013, 10:16:02 am
@Ymedron
Not seen any rude in your messages, so there is no reason to apologize. ^_^ Thanx!

@Lilyo
You right! I should work on this.