AuthorTopic: GR#141 - Journey to Hammerdale - Zelda like Game  (Read 51204 times)

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

BoxArt

Reply #40 on: February 22, 2012, 07:51:18 am

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:26:07 am by winged doom »

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Re: Journey To Hammerdale

Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 06:46:16 am
Just want to thank three persons for their feedback and help in my work on J2H.
tehwexxl0rz - for his animation edit of the main character. I'm not sure that i will work in offered direction (may be if i got a free time), but his version of girl is more pleasant to me than mine :D

astrospoon - for more readable version of J2H logotype. I should realize it!!  >:D

Bones for his idea add animation to "floor mouth" object. At first was no any animation for mouth-object, only two conditions, two modes - opened and closed (check 01:01 and 01:14 minute in this video). When i have seen animation edit of Bones i has understood that should animate "closed mod" of mouth- because it looked more logical:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:50:35 am by winged doom »

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Re: Journey To Hammerdale / PLEASE HELP WITH WALK ANIMATION

Reply #42 on: June 08, 2012, 07:35:18 am
i need your fresh look, guys! this is Raider and his walk animation:

is that ok?

Offline Cupcake

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: June 08, 2012, 08:37:38 am
No edits from me (yet?) but those don't look like the same sprite to me. The animation feels very different between the two - and the sprite itself as well! The shirt changes colors, and you go from the deep shadows between the pauldrons and helmet to the very disconnected-feeling pauldrons on the right one. Shading changes a lot elsewhere as well (sword is most obvious.)

The right-facing animation feels more like a collection of loose parts sliding around than a moving character.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #44 on: June 08, 2012, 10:54:59 am
you could easily increase the movement of the front-side animation: even if that's a bit unrealistic for the perspective, make legs move more, make shoulders circle a bit, etc.

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: June 11, 2012, 04:01:15 pm
one thing is the positioning is inconsistent, pushing him back and forward that much doesn't look so good, and also your attempt at animating the horns isn't an efficient one either, they just move, and not in synch with the body,

these are reasonably minor alterations, just making the positions more consistent frame to frame, adding an alternating 1 pixel down head bob on frames #1-#3, and quickly putting together a better approach to the horn animation, animate it in synch with his arm swing, because that would be the direction his body would swing/rotate.

also the forward animation has quite alot of head bob at the moment you want to make sure it is synchronized with your side on animation, before the edit, your side on had no head bob, so it clashed with the forward animation. also the arms and seemingly the legs too have much more extreme motions in your profile/side on view than they have in the downward one, you should try make them consistent with one another.
the overall design of the character is quite appealing.

the perspective matches your main character. but I'm not entirely sure about the colours. the colours on your main character look more subtle and desaturated, in this character they seem high contrast and vibrant in comparison, on their own both colour schemes look fine, but I'm not sure they mesh together perfectly

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 12:45:55 pm
Sorry guys, i don't have a time to answer, but BIG THANX everyone for your replies, specially to a Grimsane for edit!  It really helped!!!
So, i have some progress - new edit based on your good advices:

And new animation of attack (east direction):

I know they are not ideal. Many details need to be corrected, but I tired from this work and have to switch to something else.

Offline Mr. Fahrenheit

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 12:55:14 pm
For the attack animation I would have the actual sword take only 1 frame to get to the other side but have the smear take a few. This will make the animation seem quicker.

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 09:46:04 pm
Some things to consider:
-You generally do not want the mid-swing frame, because it slows down the chop and makes it seem much slower.
-Try swinging a "sword" in midair and stop it at an exact time; you'll find that you cant. You cant instantly slow down a swing.
-It helps to 'break' some joints at the impact of the swing in order to convey strength more
-I don't know your animation limit, but consider some more build-up and perhaps a frame from after the swing to neutral again

A dirty edit:

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: June 26, 2012, 11:42:53 pm
Quote from: winged doom
'specially to a Grimsane for edit!  It really helped!!!
glad it did.

although I've noticed quite a few things I think you could improve

badly done but hope it illustrates it sufficiently there are quite intense colour differences in the different views, the most profound being the darkness of the shoulders in the front view and the darkest tones which are no where near that level of presence side on, and the head positioning seems to be slightly contradicted in either view relative to the body, maybe it is just the downward view is a tad too top down at the moment (which when compared to the player might be true) or the side on is conversely too side on, the top down one is definitely the easier to adjust. at the moment side on he looks a bit overweight and from the front he looks broad shoulder and muscular.

also the sword in the side view has foreshortening when it is tilted that looks a bit too extreme, maybe lengthen it a pixel or too, i find the shoulders neutral neutral *suddenly both going in different directions (back and forth)* slightly strange when noticing it and only one portion of his torso is animating. and the backward most action on the legs seems strange with the pixels flaring from his pants

and your colour count is quite insanely high at the moment, even going 32 bit style, your main character sprite has a good balance of colours. 48 compared to triple digits for the current versions of your brute,

but I will say the side on animation has definitely improved quite considerably ^ ^ hopoo offered some great advice regarding the sword swing animation