AuthorTopic: Sprites for my game...  (Read 9139 times)

Offline Dave

• View Profile

Re: Sprites for my game...

Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 08:42:21 am
Right.  I have the body moving up and down, and the arms moving.  I just didn't lift the legs up like it's running.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 01:16:40 pm
Right.  I have the body moving up and down, and the arms moving.  I just didn't lift the legs up like it's running.

Stand up and walk, paying careful attention to your feet. Do they glide effortlessly across the ground, or do you pick them up? Even when you don't run, sliding feet don't make sense (they're possible, but they don't make sense, even for a robot -- too much effort).

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 06:53:04 pm
In a run cycle, both feet leave the ground for a moment. I'm not saying to do that. In walk cycles, there is a point where both feet are on the ground (When the foremost foot just touches down). I've seen people slide their feet when they walk, but they still lift their leg to some extent. It's extremely difficult to walk like a chu-chu train all the time.
Look up the games Flashback or Out of this World to see what I'm trying to say...though you can produce the same kind of walk in fewer frames than they used. For a platform sprite, I think that 4 frames is the minimum for a good walk cycle. The legs should go something like this for each leg:
L  R
|  >
/   \
>  |
\   /
I can't really give a good visual example ATM, 'cause I'm at school and unable to pixel much before lunch is over, but I'll see if I can pixel it when I get home.

Oh, and you said you updated the anim; would you mind posting it?

Offline Dave

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 05, 2006, 04:09:02 am
Don't talk to me like I don't know my anatomy, I'm in college for that shit.  I know how the body moves when walking.  I know that when people walk they don't lift their knees up, unless they're marching.  When I lift the leg up in the animation the thing looks like it's fucking marching.  I don't want that.  I want it to look like a walk.  I'm sorry I'm reacting this way, but I'm very angry right now and my graphics are the least of my concerns.  I downloaded that walk cycle video, and applied what I could to my sprite.  And as I recall from that video, the legs never raised up like it was running.  It was a simple walk.  I'll post a new anim when I'm in a better mood.  Once again, I'm sorry, I really do want to improve.

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #14 on: June 05, 2006, 04:11:04 am
If you're saying you're sorry by the end of the message, why even post it?

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #15 on: June 05, 2006, 04:22:43 am
Why are you going to school to learn about something you say you already know?

Offline Dave

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 04:40:03 am
Because I had to vent to a bunch of people I don't even know.   :(  I've been going through a bunch of shit today, and I just saw those responses, and I went off.  There's some stuff that pertains to this in there mixed in with the rant, though.  

Anyway, back to business.  

<--I've noticed that a lot of games have walk cycles like this.

Why are you going to school to learn about something you say you already know?
I should correct myself.  I'm going to school to learn how to fix problems with people's bodies, so they can move properly.  I've fucked up my body too much playing sports, so I want to be able to fix any problems other people have, so they're not in the position I'm in now.

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 04:58:44 am
Because I had to vent to a bunch of people I don't even know.   :(  I've been going through a bunch of shit today, and I just saw those responses, and I went off. 
Heh, we're here to help, and since you came here asking for help, we're trying our best to help you. If you don't want the information we're giving, then don't take it. But if we see problems, don't expect us to be like: "That's incorrect, but this is an exception."

<--I've noticed that a lot of games have walk cycles like this.
That does not at all mean that those games are correct. If the platform has 3 frame restrictions, then that's fine, and, admittedly, that's about the best you'll get with 3 frames, but one more frame would greatly increase the possible quality of this sprite.

Oh, and BTW, the hilights look much better, as well as the body movements.

Further crits: The fartherst leg doesn't move enough when compared to the closer one.
The closer foot would look better if it tilted upwards when in the forward position.
Mmm...I think that the spikes on the guy's back would look better if they moved in coordination with the shoulders.

I don't know what's going on with your life, but I hope you can cool off and that things improve for ya.

Offline Dave

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: June 05, 2006, 05:13:18 am
Heh, we're here to help, and since you came here asking for help, we're trying our best to help you. If you don't want the information we're giving, then don't take it. But if we see problems, don't expect us to be like: "That's incorrect, but this is an exception."
Yeah, I know...  I guess I just knew what I was saying, but I wasn't saying it right.   :(

That does not at all mean that those games are correct. If the platform has 3 frame restrictions, then that's fine, and, admittedly, that's about the best you'll get with 3 frames, but one more frame would greatly increase the possible quality of this sprite.
Hmm...  Probably.  I was thinking along the lines of games like Final Fantasy, with simple walk cycles, but those were done way better than this.  Not sure how I'd improve it, though.  I'll have to think about it.

Further crits: The fartherst leg doesn't move enough when compared to the closer one.
The closer foot would look better if it tilted upwards when in the forward position.
Mmm...I think that the spikes on the guy's back would look better if they moved in coordination with the shoulders.
I'll try to fix those leg issues (legs have always been my weakest point).  And I'll see what it looks like if I move those wings with the shoulders.

I don't know what's going on with your life, but I hope you can cool off and that things improve for ya.
Me too.  Should be soon, when I get to start actually making real moves with this international hip-hop organization I'm involved with.