AuthorTopic: GR#080 - RPG Tiles  (Read 15603 times)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] c + c on 16x16 rpg tiles

Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 08:28:08 pm
Per the rockface try toning down or removing the dark outlines, selectively losing them on light edges and incorporating them into shadows on the dark, Also up the contrast on the rest of the tones a bit.

With the trees, remember that saturation often decreases towards the extremes of light.

The water could be a bit too eye-catching when tiled over a large area, you should be periodically checking how individual tiles work in the context of the rest of the scene, make sure that you are consistent with your approach.

Tell me if something needs clarifying from the process below

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:18:20 pm
yeah, still need to study the structure of rocks more... doesn't look as good as i want it to... and yeah i thought about the water tile popping-out-ness before; i'm guessing if i change the palette to something less harsh it should turn out better?

Tell me if something needs clarifying from the process below

ah ok cool! so you're suggesting this as a process for making tiles (or i think it could be applied to a lot of different forms of art hah)? this makes sense. i usually just have an idea (or sometimes not at all, i would just really think "ok, ground tile now") and go straight into the "rendering" part (impatience, perhaps? haha) never really stopped to make concepts. its 3 and 4 i think i should work on most, though I'm thinking that if i actually implement steps 1 and 2 into my process, 3 and 4 will be easier.

thanks a lot for the post, man! people on this forum are awesome; they actually give you detailed responses and edits and they really know their stuff. they all go completely above and beyond.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 10:45:01 pm
i'm guessing if i change the palette to something less harsh it should turn out better?

You could do this, you could also fade out the tiles to a single colour over large areas or you only fully render the waves in patches. The only way to find out what might work best is try them.

I'm thinking that if i actually implement steps 1 and 2 into my process, 3 and 4 will be easier.
Absolutely correct, not only easier because you have a firm idea of what you're trying to do, but of much better quality. Of course staying flexible and taking advantage of serendipity on-route is important too.

Offline fortunato

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 07:03:23 pm
ok, so

worked on the rock wall tile thing. first one on the left is an earlier one; second one next to it is without the darkest shade and tried to add some shading in the middle... thought it looked odd. third one near the bottom right is with Facet's advice: used the darkest shade sparingly on the outlines of the rocks. looks the best out of all of them i think, but i still think it looks odd. probably cause of the structure of the rocks; i don't think it's that good... haha. but any thoughts? (also that odd blob thing is me trying to draw a realistic looking rock to better understand what a rock would look like in pixel..)

also worked on the water tile. went from the bright blue to a more cooler, darker blue. put it up against grass tiles and attempted to make a transition haha... the darker shade of blue recedes more and looks like its below the grass instead of competing with it... i like it a lot more, though i still think the water tile and the transition still look amateurish... is it the shading off the transition? is it the water tile? or is the transition just really lame?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: December 12, 2011, 02:50:52 am
Hello! Edit for you!

Ignore the pixel tech in that, I was just dabbing madly with some new colors. Focus more on what I did with the colors/form. I added two colors to the tree, and shifted the highlights up to yellow and gave it fuller greens. You can keep the purple, that's actually a very good thing to have, I may have gotten rid of too much of it, but you shouldn't hide so much of it with green.

Might not be your intended style, but I outlined it according to the lightsource with black on the part in shadow. Also chunkified the bottom of the tree to try to get some more shape in there deviating from the cone geometry.

The water edit isn't very noticeable, but by making that one tone a bit bluer, it helps get rid of the "lines on top of a solid color" feeling that pixel water sometimes suffers from.