AuthorTopic: GR#089 - Platformer Tiles  (Read 47810 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: Platformer Tiles, Character + Animation [WIP]

Reply #70 on: February 29, 2012, 02:25:35 am
Am I going insane, or has the timing of the bounce in the run been backwards this whole time?

Old >> New

(Before was low on the pass, high on the jump, now it's high on the pass, low on the jump.)

EDIT: Guh... even if the new one is more "correct" it lacks the liveliness of the old one. I think I'll keep it the way it was. Or not.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 03:05:20 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #71 on: February 29, 2012, 05:23:03 am
THERE we go!

Updated the idle pose too:

(One pixel taller and a more dynamic pose.)

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Reply #72 on: February 29, 2012, 06:57:21 pm
I like the running animation. (what about an idle animation?) But it seems like the torso and the legs are too dark. That might be because of the bright background... (new forum theme? anyone?)

Nevertheless you want your heroine stand out in front of the game background, and so she needs some bright colors, doesn't she?
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #73 on: March 01, 2012, 10:59:04 pm
I will definitely do an idle animation, but I need to prioritize the action poses first so I can demo my engine.

I'll consider boosting the brightness depending on how the backgrounds turn out. Thanks for the feedback. :)

Took a break from animating to work on new tiles, now 24x24 pixels:

NOTE: I used "dirty" tools to skew the grass used for the slopes. Just to get a sense of how they'd look -- I don't plan to leave them like that.

Regarding the blacked-out center tiles, I plan to keep them that way at least temporarily so I can focus on other more important assets.
It seems like there's a style clash between the rocks and grass. (I like the rocks better.) :/

Offline michelcote

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: March 02, 2012, 12:31:24 am
It seems like there's a style clash between the rocks and grass.
Maybe not so much, your tiles just cut off abruptly in the mockup/screenshot. The first thing I noticed is how green(or blue?) the rocks are compared to before. It looks good, but maybe shifting the hue closer to yellow/orange in the highlights could help them stand out a bit more from the grass.
The engine you have running on your site feels nice so far, btw. Can't wait to see it running with your character sprites in place and all the verbs/moves implemented.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #75 on: March 02, 2012, 08:23:38 am
Thanks, michelcote! Your color critique was spot on. Is this better?

(Once I seam together the rocks and grass I think it will be much easier to harmonize the palette.)

The engine you have running on your site feels nice so far, btw.
Thank you! I'm always surprised to hear people have actually tried it. I hope to update it with the new art soon! :)

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: March 02, 2012, 04:24:33 pm
Lovely character stuff, I imagine the thing around her waist is a nightmare to animate but it looks smooth.

The new tiles have the same strange 'pillared' effect as mentioned earlier (by Wes) as oppose to simply getting darker towards the centre. Try and keep the size of the particals consistant towards the centre, have a few interior stones at a lower contrast and perhaps even eke out the transition over two tiles. There are also highlights on absolutely everything which I would lose completely; the rock shouldn't really be reflective and it's distracting.

You've got WIP in big letters there but really it's a couple of highly finished tiles and then ones you haven't started. It would be so much easier to block out everything you're going to need from the start and troubleshoot when refining.

Example with inexplicable tulip -

Offline infinitegames

• View Profile

Reply #77 on: March 14, 2012, 02:35:22 am
Lovely character stuff, I imagine the thing around her waist is a nightmare to animate but it looks smooth.

The new tiles have the same strange 'pillared' effect as mentioned earlier (by Wes) as oppose to simply getting darker towards the centre. Try and keep the size of the particals consistant towards the centre, have a few interior stones at a lower contrast and perhaps even eke out the transition over two tiles. There are also highlights on absolutely everything which I would lose completely; the rock shouldn't really be reflective and it's distracting.

You've got WIP in big letters there but really it's a couple of highly finished tiles and then ones you haven't started. It would be so much easier to block out everything you're going to need from the start and troubleshoot when refining.

Example with inexplicable tulip -

This looks REALLY nice. The problem with your current tiles is that both the rocks and the grass look like they're made out of metal, and the colors are just not working very well.