AuthorTopic: GR#089 - Platformer Tiles  (Read 47814 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: Platformer Tiles, Character + Animation [WIP]

Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 10:20:59 pm
Updates:

Sorry for the lull in progress recently, I've been doing a lot of programming. Anywho, I changed up the colors a bit, changed the grass, and worked on shading the legs and boots in the run (mostly the foreground boot; back boot is rough.) Not too happy with the boot though... :/

Also, the movement of the skirt is pretty erratic; definitely needs work.

I've been trying to put my finger on exactly what I don't like about the run animation, and I think it's that the head is too static compared to the rest of the body. I'm not usually a fan of this, but do you think some head rotation would help? Ugh, I want to be done with it....

I don't know if it makes a difference to anyone, but I should probably mention the game will run at 2x zoom (or greater if you've got a hi-res monitor) so I might be obsessing over pixel tech even more than usual.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 01:56:59 am by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #51 on: January 27, 2012, 01:28:49 pm
I'd do head bobbing instead so that the chin tilts down and up in response to the running.  I'm pretty horrible at animation though, it might not work as I envision it.

Offline kriss

• View Profile

Reply #52 on: January 27, 2012, 10:32:29 pm
it seams you add more details in the last gif ! very good job

about the head i posted this in my topic :

imo, the head should be shaked or not depend only if the character only run or make a sprint (very faster than only running)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 10:36:07 pm by kriss »

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #53 on: January 28, 2012, 02:10:54 am
Thanks for the feedback! :)

kriss, in this case, the character actually does need to be running rather fast, so I think some shaking is appropriate!
Regardless of realism, I thought it looked weird for the face to be static when everything else is so fluid...

Sharm, for a higher res sprite I would totally agree, but considering the size, I'm not sure how I could do it without it just looking like deformation. Since the mouth is only 2-3 pixels wide, I can't really change the angle in subtle increments. :/

Head rotation test:

Yay/nay?

(Not complete; didn't rotate the hair or the ear, but you get the idea.)

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #54 on: January 28, 2012, 05:58:33 am
Nah the head rotation loses the intensity that she had before. She looks less determined with it.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #55 on: January 28, 2012, 03:25:05 pm
If it was somehow eased into and given an equal turn to the other side, I'd definitely pick it over a static head. I think its subtle enough to not detract from the main animation, and the more details animated, the better!

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #56 on: January 29, 2012, 12:22:42 am
Blehhh I tried giving an equal turn to the other side and it looks way too extreme:

I think I'm going to keep the head looking forward, but play with the hair more to keep it from looking too static.

The tendril in front of the ear doesn't really match the front view, so if I fix that and animate it a bit more I think it'll help...

Offline TheMonsterAtlas

• View Profile

Reply #57 on: January 29, 2012, 07:42:07 pm
I'm not very good at animation, alright I suck badly....But I think the reason the head turn looks so extreme is because the hair keeps static. By this I mean the hair doesn't move with the turn of the head, it moves up and down with the body but it stays in the same spot when the head turns. This gives off the impression that the eyes are the only thing moving on the head, making the face look as if it has properties of liquid.

Offline API-Beast

• beast_pixels
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35725.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #58 on: January 31, 2012, 10:32:24 pm
Do you move your head sideways when you run? Well, I don't. The head rotation is pretty much fixed while running.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #59 on: January 31, 2012, 10:48:15 pm
I don't think it's head rotation just for head rotation.  It's the head being slightly dragged by the torso rotating.  That's how i would look at it.  But I do agree if you rotate the head just for the hell of it it's stupid.  Right now it looks like too much rotation.

A good example would be Megaman X sprite.  That looks pretty good. Here!  This looks natural.  His head is rotating because his body is.  It's a choice to do head rotation in animation but I think it looks pretty good for platformers.

Oh I see the issue with

Its' because the head moves independent of the torso.  It should either move at the same speed or drag a frame behind the torso rotation.  That's my take on it.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 12:12:23 am by Mike »