AuthorTopic: GR#089 - Platformer Tiles  (Read 47819 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: Platforming Tiles + Character [WIP]

Reply #30 on: January 09, 2012, 05:49:07 am
Update on the run animation:

Thanks a lot for your detailed feedback, Pype! :)

You raise a good point about tile height relative to the character. I am planning to have the character duck and slide, so maybe bigger tiles would better accommodate that. But then again, I could just make the "crawl space" 2 tiles high. I also plan to make sloped tiles, so smaller tiles might give me more freedom there.

I agree the skirt will be interesting to animate! That's the main reason I've kept it, tbh. I also like the side-knot from the concept art, but that would require me to create unique left and right versions of every animation, which would be tedious to say the least... >_<

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #31 on: January 09, 2012, 10:01:30 am
I feel like the left and right sides of the cliff are receding and twisting my eyes into different dimensions of space. It's starting to look like a Q-Bert projection, (quasi isometric) instead of platformer.(head-on deadpan 1/2 top view) It probably has to do with the diagonal corner connecting tiles, and how quickly the cliffs disintegrate into darkness. I would suggest a more medium cliff to bridge not only to the darkness, but from the light to the shadow variants.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: January 09, 2012, 09:04:31 pm
I think it's great that for once, mechanics are being considered at the outset of a game project here, instead of only visuals. This is helpful to anyone wanting to make a char work with platformer tiles. Thanks for bringing this up, PypeBros.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #33 on: January 12, 2012, 08:19:57 am
Run update:

Proportions aren't exactly right, but I'll tweak them as I add detail.
I'm mostly concerned with timing and believability now. C&C is much appreciated, as always! :)

Thanks, guys! :)

Corinthian Baby, it sounds like you're looking at the older tiles (that PypeBros used in his examples) not the latest ones, here:

Do you think the same problems persist? (I know I don't have as many tiles on display, but killing the perspective should solve a lot of the issues you mentioned.)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Re: Platformer Tiles, Character + Animation [WIP]

Reply #34 on: January 13, 2012, 02:41:57 pm
Update:

Must... sleep.....

Offline yrizoud

• View Profile

Reply #35 on: January 13, 2012, 04:46:21 pm
"Mechanically" the feet animation seems right, (ie. with each new frame the ground seems to advance by a constant offset)
 but as a whole, I feel the character spends too much time crossing legs and not enough time in full extension.
Maybe it's because the back leg seems to extend backward very far (and very suddenly) after it leaves the ground.

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 12:13:25 am
It gives a very determined sort of hop style run.  I like it.  And as for the constant offset, as long as the feet move within the same amount of spacing per each frame on the ground it should work well enough.  The only thing that is really missing is a slight torso rotation. Which is when the torso twists toward the viewer as the front arm swings to the back because its pulling on the chest.  Also I think she has too much jiggle based on the material she is wearing...which looks like a leather corset piece.  Oh and I can see that you are waiting for the most absolute last moment to take the feet off the ground.  Good...good.  Another thing that is a bit jarring is how quickly the feet transition from the flick of the kick off.

That's all the critique I have time to give right now.  Excellent work so far!

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: January 16, 2012, 10:19:39 am
Update:

More torso rotation, less jiggle.

I'll fix the snapping on the back foot! Thanks for pointing it out! :)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #38 on: January 16, 2012, 11:08:08 am
improving greatly. Maybe just one "pendulum" frame at the end of each semi-cycle would make it smoother.

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #39 on: January 16, 2012, 02:06:46 pm
Keep the fists clenched. The forward movement with the head is a little awkward in my opinion.