AuthorTopic: GR#089 - Platformer Tiles  (Read 47808 times)

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Re: Platforming Tiles [WIP]

Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 01:37:59 am
I like that.

the problem that I have with it is with the way the rocks fade in towards the middle. because the rocks seem to get smaller (instead of just getting darker), it looks like the middle is further back—like the edges are coming out towards us. it makes for a weird kind of perspective that looks like there's a big hole in the middle of the rocks.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

Re: Platforming Tiles + Character [WIP]

Reply #21 on: December 16, 2011, 10:13:00 am
Thanks, Wes. I hadn't really considered the diminishing size of the rocks to be a problem, but you make a valid point. I'd be interested to hear what others think about it...?

I started working on the character (just blocking out shapes, really.)

Super wiptastic:

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: Platforming Tiles [WIP]

Reply #22 on: December 16, 2011, 04:00:49 pm
the problem that I have with it is with the way the rocks fade in towards the middle. because the rocks seem to get smaller (instead of just getting darker), it looks like the middle is further back—like the edges are coming out towards us. it makes for a weird kind of perspective that looks like there's a big hole in the middle of the rocks.
Thanks, Wes. I hadn't really considered the diminishing size of the rocks to be a problem, but you make a valid point. I'd be interested to hear what others think about it...?
Yes, I see it too, and it's been bugging me. The rocks toward the middle should appear to be as big as the others, while just getting an increased amount of shade. That should fix it, right?

Otherwise, it's looking great!
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 03:34:29 am
Thanks for your input, Charlieton, I'll work on it. :)

Update on the character:

I'm debating upping the resolution of the tiles since the character is pretty big. Thoughts?

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 01:25:31 pm
I think the tile size works well. Nice job on the character! Very readable (and cute). The only thing which I can see at a glance that might need attention is perhaps the shading on the tummy is a bit claustrophobic/dark, and the back shoulder might look better if it was pushed a few pixels to the right instead of hidden.  :y:

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #25 on: December 19, 2011, 10:03:30 am
Thanks, Atnas! :)

This better? I can't decide if the seam in the corset is too much detail...

Got started planning a run animation:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #26 on: December 19, 2011, 12:25:35 pm
My analysis of Sonic Physics Guide reveal that your character should be 1) capable of standing on a single tile and 2) not larger than two tiles.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #27 on: January 07, 2012, 11:09:20 am
In that case, the character is definitely too big for the tiles. Thanks for your input!

Here's an update:

The hair is closer to what I originally had in mind.

I'm debating getting rid of the skirt altogether... It looks a bit cluttered, but I'm worried the outfit would be too boring without it. Do you guys have any suggestions?

Here's an old piece of concept art that might help:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #28 on: January 07, 2012, 11:46:20 am
In that case, the character is definitely too big for the tiles. Thanks for your input!
I wouldn't say so, although 24x24 tiles wouldn't hurt.

She can stand on a 16x16 box, so the standing position is fine.
She'll likely use up to 32px base when walking/running (The reference here is the collision box, not the art), that's 2 tiles, and that's ok. (yeah, "larger" should have been read as "wider", not "taller" in my former post).

She's a bit high, but that make her look more adult. That's likely not to be a problem, imho. You may have to adjust her attack pattern or the level design to benefit for this additional "exposure" of the head. A quick "duck" frame that make her only 2 tiles high and the option to only shoot at the head's height, for instance, can make it interesting. She's not the kind of sprite that will easily crawl in a 1-tile-high tunnel, obviously (or slide ā la Megaman, morph ā la Sonic/metroid, transform ā la shantae ... name your poison.). I let you judge whether that's a problem for your envisioned gameplay.

I'm debating getting rid of the skirt altogether...
It doesn't read well, true. It will be interesting to animate, btw. She can puff the dust out of it when idle, it will flap when she'll fall down. Design-wise, keep the skirt. Pick a colour that doesn't blend too much into the other things (hint, her eyes&hair colour ?) and make sure that colour doesn't happen to be present a lot in the tileset (errm. It looks like gimp auto-converted the sprite into the tileset's palette ... nevermind :P).

The concept art shows a side-tied skirt. That's definitely not what you rendered... and that's much more feminine, imho.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2012, 12:04:40 pm by PypeBros »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #29 on: January 07, 2012, 12:20:42 pm
--

Well, looks like it still work better when the character is 2 tiles high, doesn't it ? At first, I thought that was just a side-effect of Sonic character (and friends) to be somehow puppet-shaped, but there's something else: An obstacle that's half as high as you(r character) seems like something more substantial to go through, while the '16x16 box' for a 48px girl sounds like just a step that can be easily climbed over. Nothing that needs a jump.