AuthorTopic: Indoor Tiles  (Read 2703 times)

Offline Ninjus

• View Profile

Indoor Tiles

on: November 26, 2011, 05:18:07 am
My color selection seems to make the wood look dull and I have not been able to fix this color problem recently.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:01:27 am by Ninjus »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: Indoor Tiles

Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 07:57:05 am
personnally, I don't see it "dull". You made nice lightning effects on some furnitures (the side-viewed sofa, for instance) but you're not constant with the amount of light those front-faces get against top-faces (e.g. bed vs. front-viewed sofa). Obviously you need something to make large wooden area to look interesting, esp. for the table and some furnitures.

The overall style of those furnitures (age, wood, etc.) reminds me the one in Frogatto, so you might want to inspect whether they had this problem and how they fixed it. You could try to use light reflection to suggest that the wood is well-polished (rich people) or make the wood aged (poor people, which I guess is not what you want). Finally, you could simply dress the table / furniture top with some lace work, etc.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 08:26:51 pm
This looks kind of like line art to me. The reason I say that is because they have pretty solid colors, and sparse shading. Some dithering going on, which might be useful at this resolution, but you're going to have to invest in some serious texturing to garner visual interest. Also, you should post a character sprite for scale. For instance, some objects look like they are taller than they should be, like the counter or the front facing bed.

About the colors; there are a few things you can do. Study the color/pallet of a game/mockup that you think works well, and try to understand why it works, then emulate it. Also color stealing, or using other people's pallets is perfectly ok, even within the strict moral ethic code of pixel art. It's something that will help you understand color more. Also look into hue shifting: instead of using the same spectrum of a single color, shift it into cooler shades for the shadowy parts, like purple, blue, green, and warmer colors for the brighter shades, like red, yellow, orange. If you think it looks bland, then change it up. Knowing about color theory in general also helps make better color choices.

Offline Ninjus

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 10:17:06 pm
Thanks, for the replies I have been reading tutorials about hue shifting and will show some results once I get the time.