AuthorTopic: Zelda 1 enemies in GBC style  (Read 5293 times)

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Zelda 1 enemies in GBC style

on: November 25, 2011, 07:03:55 pm
I was a bit frustrated by how GBC Zeldas treated some of the original enemy designs, so I thought I'd take a shot at them.

Also, Star Control in Final Fantasy Legends style, GB.

As you can see here (and on my Marne Bros project if you remember), I'm trying to do lost lines here and there, because I think full outlines make the sprites a bit heavy looking. I also like to remove lines where there's ground contact (Compare my mountains with the Final Fantasy Legend mountains for example.). I'm not really sure how it's working out. It looks inconsistent here and there. The Tektite is tricky because of its thin legs, and for some reason I didn't want to expand the body with outlines.

The slime is tricky in a way. DQ has the best slimes because they have expression-ability. Zelda slimes were sort of generic. I quite liked Lufia 3's slimes (GBC game) and graphics in general. They did the transparant slime thing where you can see the "butt" press against the ground. However, in an attempt to give the Zelda slime some character of it's own, I decided to reference the manual image and suggest segmentation and opaqueness. I think it's a bit too stretchy/bouncy still. The Zelda 1 original is more quiet.

The Like-Like is something out of a Lovecraft story isn't it? Mine looks close to the GBC original, but I changed the animation.

Peahat is boring.

Keese could be in that Japanese Red Riding Hood commercial... Maybe it should flap the wings... more flappily.

That is all. It's just some loose stuff but I haven't posted anything in quite a while. I did some Zelda 2+1 sprite interpretations a while ago.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 07:05:47 pm by Arne »

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: Zelda 1 enemies in GBC style

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 11:42:41 pm
Haha, I still remember that Valkyrie no Bouken thread!

I like the Zelda re-designs, but I'm wondering why that bunny gets so dark on the second frame. I'm also wondering if it was a good idea to take the outline off the side of the bat's wings; I think its shape can be changed, whilst keeping part of the wings without an outline.

Getting rid of the outline at the bottom of those mountains was a good move. However, I find the antennae top-left quite noisy with their broken outlines.

I'm looking forward to more progress! :)
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Jakten

• The Bionic Vapor Boy
    • View Profile
    • Levitating Rocksquatch

Reply #2 on: November 26, 2011, 12:00:28 am
I think removing outlines for areas that are contacting makes sense and looks good. Otherwise it looks like the object is floating. Compared to the other enemies I think the Rope looks too flat, I'm not sure how you could fix that though really.

I really love those Zelda 2 sketches though, always a treat to see your stuff! 

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2011, 07:13:08 pm
Agreed about those things. Attempt to address. Also: Sized up Gibdos/Mummy head (looks a bit tacky though). Moved down knees on Tektite hind legs. And other things.

->

Unlike the original GBC sprites, these are not laterally symmetrical.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2011, 08:38:33 pm
I still think the likeness for the bat, the snake and the rabbit could be pushed further.
I made a few edits of your sprites:
->
Can't wait to see more!
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Arne

• Panties.
    • View Profile
    • AndroidArts

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2011, 08:51:37 pm
I couldn't find a way to fit the teeth into Rope's mouth. The forehead looks a bit different in my version, but I liked it because it reminded me of one of the statues when you enter a dungeon. Tilting the eye might be a good idea. I moved it down to move up the camera to solve the 'flat' problem mentioned earlier.

For some reason I removed the lines in the ears of the Pols Voice. Works better with, I think. The long eyes in the Zol mightalso work better. I've been experimenting with adding additional stripes on it, but it looks a bit cluttered that way. I think the bat looks a bit noisy with reduced outlines around the "balls", and there's a collision with the ears that way.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 08:56:50 pm by Arne »

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 01:04:04 am
These are pretty cool. It took me a second to understand the helicopter-like blades on the fourth creature from the top. It might look more like it's spinning if you drew the motion blur.