AuthorTopic: Tracing?  (Read 5142 times)

Offline Rynen10K

• żĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Tracing?

on: May 27, 2006, 06:43:14 pm
Hey guys!

I'm just curious... how do you guys go about starting off your larger sprites (portraits, larger linearts, etc)?
I remember on the old pixelation tutorial that a lot of sprites are traced in Photoshop to get a rouch outline, then refined, colored, AA'd, etc. However, I keep getting this vibe that tracing is really looked down upon, almost "cheating" in the pixel community...

Am I just paranoid about this? Or is tracing an acceptable way to begin your sprites? Or is it only looked down upon if you trace from existing, unoriginal pictures (IE just tracing a wario head or something and calling it a new sprite)?

I switch between tracing and starting from scratch depending on the size or if I feel comfortable enough not to use a traced sketch.

I know it's all about the end result, but I kinda wanted your opinions on this since I've been wondering about it for a long time.

Thanks!

-Ryan

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Re: Tracing?

Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 07:10:46 pm
If it's your own work you're tracing I can't see how there'd be any problem. I sometimes like to sketch something out at 2000x2000px or so in photoshop and then shrink it wayyyy down and repixel.

I think it's really only looked down on when you trace from someone else's work.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 07:22:07 pm
yes, people only look down upon it if its traced of somebody elses work. i sketch and scan and trace all the time.

Offline Rynen10K

• żĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 10:06:58 pm
Ah, cool.
I admit - I've traced a few of other people's works before when I was first learning to do pixel stuff (2 that I know of - they were both traced off of Smash Bros. Melee screenshots). However, now I just do all my own stuff ;D

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 11:32:39 pm
It's been told time and time again. Name the reference, show us where it's from and include it in your thread and noone will care. Saying "this piece was based off a SSB screenshot" might call some frowns if you don't include the reference, as we can't judge the ammount of creativity. I've seen some badly pixelated crap here, that is considered top league because of the creativity involved. Creativity is everything...

Offline Rynen10K

• żĄ┴JeәЧ
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 11:40:42 pm
It's been told time and time again. Name the reference, show us where it's from and include it in your thread and noone will care. Saying "this piece was based off a SSB screenshot" might call some frowns if you don't include the reference, as we can't judge the ammount of creativity. I've seen some badly pixelated crap here, that is considered top league because of the creativity involved. Creativity is everything...

I lost 'em when my drive crashed a while ago (along with a ton of my other crap), but I don't really count them anyway. I made a Waluigi and an Ice Climber sprite tracing screens from the Trophies. I dunno if anyone remembers them or not.
Although, I think it's the only thing I showed off when Pixelation was still around  :-[

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2006, 01:10:32 pm
I sometimes draw on paper, scan, and trace, adn i dont see anything particularly cheating about it; people who can afford good tablets can draw straight on
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Esker

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 28, 2006, 06:09:16 pm
I thought it was normal to draw it on paper first and trace it in photoshop? Especially for larger pieces.

I usually find it's the difference between spending an hour on something or spending 3 hours trying to get one stupid little detail correct, which would have been easier to do if I'd drawn the sprite out on paper first.

Anyway, am I the only one or does anyone else when pixelling sprites out from scratch, often make really silly mistakes and not actually notice until someone mentions that you missed an elbow or something?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 06:14:10 pm by Esker »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2006, 06:23:56 pm
I have that with large scale hand-drawn perspective drawings. The last corner never matches up and if I step away from the paper I go "OMG KILL IT". Then I just invent some Escher like cheats that no-one notices to make it right again. I made a stair go from 90° in the top view to 45° and you can't visually notice it really :3. Gotta love cheating!