AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Rock Floor  (Read 3367 times)

Offline FreudianSlap

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Rock Floor

on: November 16, 2011, 02:14:00 am
Hi everyone,

I've been pixeling this floor tile for a platformer that I'm working on with a friend.

Which I re-purposed out of this concept that I made earlier. (we've change the color scheme of the cave since I made the concept, also the hallway is my friends handy work)

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd409/freudianSLAP/UndergroundConcept.png

Now I like the general feel of big clean ambiguous forms that the rocks in the concept have. However, when I try to shade the rocks in the tile it completely loses that quality.
I've tried about 4 different variations of shading and color but in the end came back to what you see here in the floor tile.

I would really appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction with making theform of these rocks more obvious. With out making a bunch of pixel noise the way I have with my attempts  :huh:
General C+C on the tile is also welcome.

Oh almost forgot, my original inspiration for the concept piece was this concept image from Cave Story 3D
http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd409/freudianSLAP/First_Caves--article_image.jpg
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:16:35 am by FreudianSlap »

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Rock Floor

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 08:44:58 am
Hard to figure out where to go wit this.  It already looks like rock, and has a sort of style that is hard to touch without messing it up.

It does have issues with the top edge and possibly perspective.  It doesn't look like a rock you could feasably walk on.  You'd need to imply that there's flat stable ground you can rock up top the rocks (and would also help with the desired shape).

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:18:03 am
tips:
-add some smaller rocks in the ground
-add another color with a different hue (rocks are colorful) Example
-add details on the rocks, like little scratches and stains etc. (reference previous example)
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 08:36:26 pm
It does have issues with the top edge and possibly perspective.  It doesn't look like a rock you could feasably walk on.  You'd need to imply that there's flat stable ground you can rock up top the rocks (and would also help with the desired shape).

i thought the same thing as this, man.

my question is: how big will the character sprites be? walking on these will be really awkward. i would suggest bringing them in tighter or adding smaller rocks between them to create something a little more walkable.

these rocks look like a great starting place, but they don't really create a floor on their own.

Offline FreudianSlap

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 09:35:44 pm
Thanks for the input everyone!

Alright, I will make it more walkable looking. I'll try my hand at shading them again as well.

how big will the character sprites be?

Characters will be around 80 pixels tall.

Offline FreudianSlap

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 12:41:45 am
Here's my edit, I got kind of lazy towards the right of the tile.

Though I really like the bottom of the second from the right rock. The form really came out well there. The rest looks kind of...random.