AuthorTopic: GR#079 - RPG Tiles - Chip 16  (Read 19866 times)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/14966.htm
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile
    • Chris Kelsall's Pixel Portfolio

Re: RPG Tiles - Chip16

Reply #20 on: November 29, 2011, 07:04:25 pm
Thanks Pypebros! It was quite helpful to look at.
Does the cliff look any better? I've changed the cobbles, too:
☑ Available for work     ☒ Unavailable for work
Check out my portfolio if you are looking for a pixel artist!

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 29, 2011, 08:35:23 pm
It's looking really great.  I love this tileset, it's got all the charm of a gbc game without looking restricted or lazy.  The new rocks are an improvement, they look less like they're a floor and the light source matches better.  I think it needs a little shading on the top to stop it from looking top heavy.  The cobbles are still bugging me, they look like roof shingles, and I think it's because of the sideways tilt and light direction.  I've done an edit on the cobbles and the new rocks, hope it's useful.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 09:29:43 am
Does the cliff look any better?

Oh yeah! way better. glad to have been useful ^_^
All it needs now is a little yellow pixels in the grass, just nexto the cliff to give it more volume, and maybe one lonely stone that the grass could not cover and that stands like a warning for the foolish heroes-to-be ;)

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 01:30:02 pm
Thanks Sharm! I think the cobbles look better now.
I've also made some other changes, including a few yellow highlights on the grass above the rocks:

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 04:49:26 pm
It's looking good.  I'm excited to see the cliff completed and whatever is next.  When you do the sides, make sure you have the rocks a lot more narrow on the very edges and be overlapped more.  More like the right side than the left.

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 30, 2011, 05:46:03 pm
This is rather charming little tileset Chris, but there are quite a few things which you might improve upon.   

First, I really like your palette although you're not really using it to it's potential here; almost all your tiles are 2-3 colours and straight ramps. Mix it up a bit ;D

Lighting - Everything here is pretty flat, there's barely any shadow and those there are aren't bold enough to really sell the effect properly.

Texture - Quite a few busy & distracting repeating patterns to be used (presumably) over large areas.

A couple of specifics; I find the cliffs hard to parse, no sense of height and the sides don't read as shaded. Secondly those trees... I know there's a long, illustrious tradition of awful flat midget trees in RPG's but they're super super lazy. Those trees actually inspired an edit, mainly in order to banish them. :D

I've roughed out a few ideas for how you could better render/utilise colours, avoid repetitive patterns and also some stylistic stuff. The houses suggested pine woods to me so I indulged myself. I recall from a previous thread that you're working with limited tiles so not all of this might be feasible and I guess you were aiming for a less representational look overall but there's a few ideas you could take away from it.

Offline Juninho

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: November 30, 2011, 06:50:28 pm
good!

but if you swapped the blue of the tree by a darker color would be better, especially in those joints

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #27 on: November 30, 2011, 07:40:31 pm
Secondly those trees... I know there's a long, illustrious tradition of awful flat midget trees in RPG's but they're super super lazy. Those trees actually inspired an edit, mainly in order to banish them. :D

I'm sorry, but even if your trees are looking incredibly good, they're not as charming as the original ones. (not to mention switching the type of tree)
You're a great artist but I think this is a clear case of you promoting your own preferences without regard for the original art style.
Because those trees look way too real and detailed. I actually think your style clashes to much with the simplistic, retro feel of the original tiles.
You have a more painterly, detailed non-uniform approach while the original is simple, uniform and cartoonish.
Just take a look at those character sprites, It looks like someone inserted old school rpg characters into an painting.

Offline HughSpectrum

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 30, 2011, 08:31:06 pm
Those pixels are still sketchy.  I imagine if refined and adjusted to be tile-able there would be a lot less clash.

Also, I would totally put old school characters onto a painting if I could.

Offline Chris2balls

• Pixel Artist
    • ckelsallpxls
    • chris2balls
    • chriskelsallpixelart
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 30, 2011, 08:59:16 pm
Great stuff, Facet. Thank you very much, it really does help! :)
Due to my limited experience with tile-making, I tend to be quite rigid when I work. I also initially wanted to make something visually poorer and perhaps more symbolic in its content, but I don't mind trying this path. It'll require a few adjustments to get it into style, but it should be good. I won't hide that at one point I wanted to make the houses less square and have sparse details on the roof, but it isn't too late.
So I decided to whip out my tablet and scribble some rough tilesets with some tests alongside them:

I prefer these, as they are bigger and allow more flexibility. Still needs some work for better tiling though.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 09:02:08 pm by Chris2balls »