AuthorTopic: some WIP stuff; a game about mines  (Read 2520 times)

Offline Corsair

• some assembly required
    • View Profile

some WIP stuff; a game about mines

on: November 13, 2011, 09:27:36 am
..That has nothing to do with fortresses or crafts. This is (ostensibly) going to be part of a Zelda style action/adventure game that just happens to feature a young miner as a protagonist. Predictably, it begins in a mine.

It's tiled as it is due to a limitation in the game system, so there's a lot of redundancy. The mirrored stuff is raw laziness, and because this is one of many backgrounds i'll be working on, any non-mirrored walls and details will have to be more afterthought. If myself and the guy I'm working with can muster it, this is going to end up being a pretty huge project. Well, huge for two guys, at least.

I'm going for a decidedly Genesis-y feel, and as such have ripped nearly all of the colors used from various genesis games. Also, this being one of my few forays into environment rendering, I'm looking for ways I can improve the visibility/readability. As it stands, the character gets lost in all the detail. It won't be played isometrically, the isometric tiles are there to give better flexibility to the level layouts.

and the character

Obviously any crits regarding him are also welcome.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 09:36:49 am by Corsair »

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Re: some WIP stuff; a game about mines

Reply #1 on: November 13, 2011, 07:23:11 pm
could you post one where the tiles are touching so we can see how they look together?

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: some WIP stuff; a game about mines

Reply #2 on: November 14, 2011, 12:50:07 pm
Really cool. I've never actually got to see how the tiles all connect up with a perspective like that. I'd love to see more. Post a real mockup, let's see how your tiles look when actually used. All you got up atm is a tilemap lookin' thingy.

If you keep this thread alive with regular updates I'll stay tuned in a give my cents frequently. I've like to see mo'.