AuthorTopic: [WIP] Pixel-art videoclip project (C+C)  (Read 16037 times)

Offline mattib

• View Profile

[WIP] Pixel-art videoclip project (C+C)

on: November 12, 2011, 03:14:28 pm
Hi guys, I'm totally new to pixel-art. I'm a flash animator, so I've always worked with vector graphics.
A friend of mine asked me to do a videoclip of a song from the album he recorded with his band. My idea was to make a videogame-style animation (mainly in the style of sidescrolling fighting games like "TMNT: The Hyperstone Heist"). The project should be an affectionate parody of old gaming, so elements of different styles will be borrowed (martial arts moves, explosions etc). However, is a couple of months I'm trying to get the handle of this art, reading tutorials, studying the classics and stuff. I'm finding it really funny and interesting and the latest experiment came out quite good so I'd like you guys to tell me what to improve, what to change etc.

This guy is a Shaolin Monk that I plan to put in the video as an enemy, but this single sprite will probably not find place in it: while I'm quite satisfied I think I need to exercise more and I want you to tell me on what should I work to improve. Thanks.
I've been inspired for the stance from a pic that I found online, but it was made totally from scratch with pencil on paper and then scanned and pixelated

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 01:11:51 pm by mattib »

Offline mattib

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Pixel-art videoclip project.

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 10:56:32 pm
uhm....well I'll try with some other sprites that i drew directly on my computer.
This one for example, I really don't like it very much...those should be some background mountains to be tiled. If you tile them they probably still don't match exactly, but that's not the point, I'd really like some suggestions on the art. Thank you

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 12:31:41 am
Welcome to the forum! Don't feel too bad if your art doesn't get many replies. I've been on a million different art forums over the years, and there are only two types of art that get people talking: amazing artwork and god-awful artwork. Because of your lack of replies, you can rest assured that your artwork is somewhere in the middle, so you're doing pretty good for a beginner. =)

For your monk, his pose isn't very convincing. With his legs so far apart, his balance from front to back is very stable, but his balance from side to side must be awful. He'd fall over if you pushed him on the shoulder, and he'd have a very hard time moving quickly during a fight while he's doing a half-split, hahah. Bring his legs closer together, and get him in a crouching sort of position or something. Look up some real kung-fu experts for reference, and copy a few of those pictures until you get the stance right. The mountains are okay, but why is the sky green?

And what art program are you using? I'd suggest Graphics Gale or Pro Motion for pixel art. They each have their strengths and weaknesses, so maybe both? Open Canvas and Paint Tool Sai are my two favorite painting programs, if you want to give painting a shot, too. (You should, it'll help your pixel art as well!)

Just remember to always use references, and you'll learn quickly. As you get better at drawing, you'll need them less and less.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 12:38:29 am
Also, use either the .png or the .gif format, not .jpg

Offline mattib

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:29:38 am
thanks for the replies. I didn't feel bad or offended, don't worry! The software I choose after some rehearsal is Graphics Gale.
The sky is not green, that's just a color I put there, where will be transparency.
Since I actually exported some .png but I've hosted the pics on facebook ('cause I needed to show a friend also) which probably converted them in .jpg... I'm going to repost them with another hosting and fix that color too.

so pngs, Mountains:

uhm..those tree also are not that good

Monk (I think I need to work more on the shadings...):

as I said, I actually used a pic as a reference for this stance. I pointed that out because even if i just had a peek on the image and then use my memory to draw it came out really similar (that's luck, heh) I feared that you might consider it ripped off! I don't think is a guard stance hovewer, more like a showoff. Anyway i'll try to make a more balanced stance, maybe with a breathing animation. Oh, and for that...what do you use to animate pixels? While I found graphics gale good for drawing I actually didn't find confortable in the animation part... so If you have any suggestions...also, I plan to put togheter my pieces in flash for the final animation...like sprite animations people do with sonic and mario sprites...but if you know better ways to do it let me know!

oh, and this is a tree, but since I've followed quite closely a tutorial, I think it came up quite well..but still the author of the tutorial has a big responsability :D

last thing, I'm from Italy. I know that my English is quite good but still some errors will come up, just to let you know!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:38:10 am by mattib »

Offline mattib

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Pixel-art videoclip project (C+C)

Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:59 pm
I did another pose for the Monk, this time more balanced.

Well...I improved a little the face and the shading on the cloth...but I think it could be improved more.

I've tried to color the outlines and I think it gives a good touch to it, but I don't like the exaggerated shading under the right (his right) leg and the cloth flapping from the back..

« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 10:05:20 pm by mattib »

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 16, 2011, 10:51:06 pm
but I don't like the exaggerated shading under the right (his right) leg and the cloth flapping from the back..

That exaggerated shading is what all shadows should be. Before, it had almost no contrast and looked more like it was just colored in. Try shading like this everywhere.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 01:18:08 am

Moar contrast
Smaller head.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 01:36:59 am
Yeah, his new pose looks a lot better. Also, like Phlakes and yaomon said, you need more contrast in your shading. For me, I find that anything less than a 10% difference in color isn't enough. So if you're working on a scale out of a hundred, take off/add ten saturation or lightness. If you're working out of 255, then 25 or so. Note that this isn't a set rule at all (no rules are in art), but in general, it should help you out in the beginning. At least *try* shading with more contrast first, and if it doesn't work in a certain situation, simply reel it in. You usually want your sprites to have as much contrast as possible, since you're working with such small areas of color.

Good luck! =)

Edit: Ah, also, your tree looks okay, but it looks a little flat. Here's a guy with a few pretty good pixel art tutorials, one of them being how to make trees: http://kiwinuptuo.deviantart.com/

Try to imagine things in big, basic, 3D shapes when drawing, then work down to your fine details. When I draw trees, I start with large blobs of color, making big spheres, just to show where the clumps of leaves will be and how light will hit them. Only after I've roughed out the shape like that do I start adding leaves in. Everyone works differently, but I think the way I do it should be easy enough for anyone to understand, considering my skill level, heheh.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:43:21 am by jams0988 »

Offline mattib

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 12:59:04 pm
Thanks everybody for the feedback!

@Jams:
You are right, I've improved the shadings on the tree a little bit and now it looks a little better

@Yaomon:
thank you for spending time on my drawing! The hands look very cool, expecially the right one!  For the head on the other hand, I'll try to make it smaller, but not that much, I'd like to keep a cartoonish style (but not too much, and not manga-style) basically the one I use on my other works.

@Flakes:
Gonna try reshading it.
thanks

ps. As I said before, I feel graphics gale really not intuitive for the animation, while I think it's good for the layers etc. What could I use to animate it? I can't even set the FPS in here!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:25:01 pm by mattib »