AuthorTopic: [WIP] Self-Portrait & ARPG Main Character Sprite  (Read 10829 times)

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • https://pixeljoint.com/p/15996.htm
    • View Profile
    • Ian Wexler | Game Developer

[WIP] Self-Portrait & ARPG Main Character Sprite

on: November 09, 2011, 12:19:53 pm
Hey guys! :)

Finally have some free time between projects, so I thought I'd whip up a new avatar that represents me more accurately than a sexy catgirl. Just lines and flats so far:

Will upload a ref soon...

C&C is appreciated!

Current Self-Portrait:

Current ARPG Sprite:
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 11:46:01 pm by tehwexxl0rz »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: [WIP] Self-Portrait

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 12:46:08 pm
this looks very good. Has character and an emotional aspect to it which I enjoy.

very minor structural edit

I take off the hair to return to initial head structure and add the second eye so I can show that aligning the eyes with the plane of the face (and the edges of the mouth) makes a subtly noticable difference. Then I replace the hair.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 12:49:50 pm
Haha my latin numbering's very good in that edit. Go, Helm, become dumber as you grow up.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 04:18:23 am
Thanks for the feedback, Helm! Glad you like it.

Here's an update:

Offline milleja46

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 11:59:31 am
Looks good except for the cheek that looks kina like you pillow boxed the shading somewhat XD other than that that's some nice work there

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 12:11:58 pm
Though what you have so far is just excellent, I'm actually a bit disappointed it's not staying simple cartoony shaded. But despite the regret I want to see you finish it with the direction you're going in anyway. I can learn from how you do what you do.

Why not go ahead and draw his entire head then crop it later for various applications? You won't have any missing image data that way. Unless of course this is only for something very specific where his full head will never be used. I just to hate things cropped unnecessarily.

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:08:56 am
Thanks for the critique, milleja46. Although I actually think the lighting on the cheek is pretty consistent with the rest of the piece... If you'd like to do an edit to show me more specifically what you think could be improved, I'd be happy to take a look.

Thanks, Mathias! I chose this direction to try and push myself in terms of lighting organic volumes. Despite the level of detail, I'd like to avoid pure realism, so I share your concern about taking it too far from the original sketch. Hopefully I'll arrive at a style we both enjoy. :)

The only reason for the tight cropping is to challenge myself to compose a nice portrait within the confines of a 64x64 square. I'm open to the idea of expanding the canvas later, but first I'd like to see this challenge through.

Update:

Offline tehwexxl0rz

• Swing the bat.
    • ianwexl0rz
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 09:16:09 am
Update!

Almost done except for the hair...

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 12:45:30 pm
1. you shoud avoid using pure white (#fff). looks like he's got a spooge of mayo on his cheek.

2. the most obvious problem with this that bugs me is the shading on the face, the long stripes of color. i'd give you an edit but I'm babysitting (and i'm lazy) but try to accentuate the planes of the face with solid colors and use some of your inbetweens as buffer colors. you don't need to have those kinds of repeating strips of ascending colors—it looks really wierd.

3. the mouth seems really long and the neck seems too thin. maybe that's a case of animeitis
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 12:50:19 pm by Wes »

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 12:55:41 pm

Did an edit to show an alternative to the white and tried to make the hair flow better etc. Hope it helps. c: