AuthorTopic: Cave, crit and tips please  (Read 3027 times)

Offline Mahan

• View Profile

Cave, crit and tips please

on: November 08, 2011, 11:32:04 pm
Hi all, I've been lurking around for a while now and finally have something I think is not half bad :D. So I would like any tips and crit on this picture. I want It to be better than It is and could do with a couple of kicks in the right direction. And how do you draw grass? Random flocking really looks a mess.  :huh:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:12:19 am by ptoing »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Re: Cave, crit and tips please

Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 05:43:06 am
It's looking all jpeged.  Did something happen to it while you saved it or is it your hosting service trying to be "helpful"?

Offline bengo

• https://pixeljoint.com/p/5787.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:42:07 am

The way you've rendered (shaded) is very pillow-shadeyish; I can't imagine a worse place this could be, but on something like rocks. The light source is wacky, no definite light source. The black outlines around everything make it look flat; this doesn't help with atmosphere either, it looks very cartoon-esque. I do not think you should have a white background (especially with the shadow being brown, and not a gray). It's got potential, and I have a few pointers I think might help out:
* Think of the rocks as shapes, very boxy, having definite edges; define your planes with line in the initial sketch before rendering
* Define your light source, make sure to stick with it! I suggest sticking to one
* Use reference! Look at how life itself handles everything (and perhaps a good pixel artist, one that is very technical). I think it would greatly help you to do so.

I hope I've been able to help you out. Good luck with your piece!

Offline Red_Mist

• Not enough pixels in the world.
    • View Profile
    • FuzionLLC

Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 06:08:13 pm
I think the palet needs work, but lets let a palet expert tackle that one.
Personally I think the cave has too smooth a look, try adding some more details now that you have a base started.. like this

I feel perhaps the scale is a bit large too as it would take some time to make the whole cave more detailed.. good luck in any case.
<Xion> I can't see it why can't I see it

Offline Mahan

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 09:24:18 pm
Thanks for the replies guys.
I tried to take on board everything that was said. I felt the best way to do this was just to start again as putting lipstick on a pig is too much effort to end up with a pig wearing lipstick. 

The pallet by the way was a combie of pallets I grabbed from adobe Kuler and it really doesn't look quite right.(on reflection)
What is the recommended way of pallet forming? Is there a correct/better way or a most used technique?

The white back drop was inspired by translucent backgrounds of the Gale variety, I was going blind looking at it and had to just get it saved and uploaded ASAP before I got too sick of trying to save it.

It must have been Jpeg'd by the host, I had to upload it to several and did not really read the fine print of what the host did/didn't do to the image.
What is the recommended host for this board?

So without further rambling,I present 1 art for your crit and advice  ;D

Pallet doesn't seem right to me...