• AlexHW

Fish

on: October 22, 2011, 05:23:35 am
fish thing

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: Fish

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 06:38:02 am
I like him. Super cool color choices. It looks like he's a bit off-balance though, like he might be leaning back a little too much.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 08:45:13 am
hm hows this?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 09:02:15 am
(You've been on a roll!)

An improvement. But if possible, I'd like to see the leg stretched out somewhat more, as in the original version? If that somehow obstructs the apparent length of the limbs, this is pretty much fine.

Otherwise, great job on the anatomy, and I like the palette. :y:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 09:04:08 am by pistachio »

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 09:32:10 am
thanks   :)
how's this?

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 06:52:56 pm
Hmmm, I dunno. It still looks like his torso should be leaning forward a bit more. I think it's because his head/shoulders are so bulky compared to his very skinny body. I imagine his center of gravity must be way up near his chest, which still looks pushed back compared to his feet to me. It's probably fine, though. He's not glaringly off balance or anything, he just feels a little off when I look at him. Actually, that's probably it; he doesn't really look like he'd lose his balance just standing there anymore, but it still feels like if I gave him a solid shove, he'd fall right over. I think someone with such a bulky torso and such skinny legs should be hunched over/crouching down a lot more, to lower his center of gravity. Here's Zangief of Street Fighter fame to show what I mean:

Now, Zangief has large legs to match his large torso, so he'd probably look pretty good standing up, too. But your fish guy looks top heavy, so it's even more important for him to take a solid stance, methinks.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 11:13:54 pm
hrrrmm.
I didn't really picture him as being bent like that, but it might be cooler.
here's the idea for his tail..

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 03:38:48 pm
I think you should keep the pose as you have it now, it looks great! Love that palette.

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 07:28:30 pm
love those colors. the pink shadows and outlines are really adventurous and it pays off.

some of the outlines seem a bit jagged (most prominently his calves), and the straight line on his arm stands out to me.

I see what jams is saying about the center of gravity. it shouldn't be as aggressive as zangief, but the size of the fish's head compared to the body (or probably the location that it joins the shoulders without a neck) is what makes him look so topheavy and unbalanced. on the whole it isn't too much of an issue, and with the animation of the tail it has a better balance imo.

i hope that you're going to give the tail a ribbon effect with that animation, man. that's what it looks like it's gonna be and i can imagine it looking really sweet when finished.

are you gonna be animating more of him?  ;D

Offline SimTheDog

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 03:09:14 pm
Whoever you are, thanks for posting this. It's made me feel a lot more confident picking up more colors in my artwork. You've made me a happy person right now.