AuthorTopic: GR#096 - 32x32 RPG Tiles  (Read 37426 times)

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] 32x32 RPG tiles C+C

Reply #10 on: November 10, 2011, 07:55:43 pm
I love that dirt tile, man (i'm gonna use that for ideas with some ground tiles of my own that i've been stuck with if that's cool with you). And that water looks great—where the dirt and the water connect really works—it looks like a muddy little stream. Sweet job there. Are you gonna post an animation of the water? I'd like to see it in action.

There's something about your greenery that bugs me, though. The grass and the trees—both of them have a kind of sharpness that could work on its own, but doesn't fit in with the solid ground tiles. Maybe it's in the colors. The grass in particular: it tiles nicely but it doesn't seem to blend tonally with the other ground tiles. I have the same problem with the tree trunks—they seem really sharp. normally i'm all over high contrast, and i think what you have is good, but if you can blend them just a little bit more it would match the floor more.

i guess that's the thesis of my criticism: your grass and trees don't blend into the ground as nicely as the ground and water blend into each other. the result is a kind of jarring mishmash.  can you try re-using come of the colors on the trees?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #11 on: November 10, 2011, 09:04:38 pm
The back view was bugging me too, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it at first.  I think I've got it now.
I'd even go further, based on your edit:

I also made a try to edit the tree/ground transition

You made a wise choice with the water, by keeping the natural "structure" of your ground tile. That inspired me and I basically started by "removing" any "ground plate" under the tree so that it becomes a large, flat darker area that ends at the edge of other "plates". Then I adjusted a little bit the roots so that they point towards the corners between plates. Some more greens around the trunk would for sure make it more realistic: roots of a tree provide a protected area that's the eden for a lot of smaller plants.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 09:18:37 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 09:58:23 pm
I've attempted a more unified pallet like Wes suggested.  I'm liking the change, but I worry that now there isn't enough yellow in the image.

I also went further with the neck shading on the back view.

I need to think a little more on the transition tile for the tree.  If I'm going to do something like that, I want it to be a part of the tree root image, not an extra tile, and I'd like the tree to work on other tiles.  For example, if I put some green around the tree, it'll look really weird on top of the snow tile I'll be doing later.

Edit:

He no longer stomps.  If this looks good, I'll start detailing him.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:52:34 am by Sharm »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 11:22:27 pm
I need to think a little more on the transition tile for the tree.  If I'm going to do something like that, I want it to be a part of the tree root image, not an extra tile, and I'd like the tree to work on other tiles.  For example, if I put some green around the tree, it'll look really weird on top of the snow tile I'll be doing later.
Why don't you want to make a separate ground tile image? If there's no special reason why, besides trying to save some time, I think you might be better off just making a ground tile for it...there can't be too many different types of ground you'll be having that tree grow out of, anyway, and you might end up having a hard time making something that looks good no matter where you put it. It might just be easier to make the different ground tiles, I think.

I like the set you have going though. It's improved so much over the last few days! Starting to look pretty cool. =)

For your guy, I still think the animation is a little weird...not sure if I'd start detailing yet. It still looks like he's...not stomping, but power-walking? Our walk has evolved to use the least amount of effort possible...our feet barely leave the ground when we're walking, but your guy's feet are coming up almost to his knees still. He keeps his elbows crooked, too, which also adds to the effect that he's kind of walking heavily.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 11:26:01 pm by jams0988 »

Offline Wes

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 11:41:34 pm
Yeah, it's the arms that make it look like he's marching or powerwalking. In a regular walk, they should be straighter, more of a hang-and-swing from gravity.

Offline milleja46

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 11, 2011, 12:07:46 am
I've also noticed something else the legs....i don't know why but they seem to be more twig/drumstick like than legs... i don't know why but i noticed it XD

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 09:30:50 pm
Had to go MIA for a while, this will be common.  I still read all the comments and very much appreciate them. 

@jams0988 I could be getting stubborn for no good reason, I'll admit.  It just seems inefficient to me and like it'd be annoying to code.  So far I have 2 dirt tiles and a grass tile that it needs to interact with.  I've partially done another grass tile, a dead leaves tile and I'd like to add a few snow tiles and possibly a sandy dirt tile.  It's not that I'm afraid of the work, it just seems contrary to the point of pixel art.  I did do a transition tile for the dry dirt plus I looked carefully at the edit, neither one really made a worthwhile difference.  Maybe your monitor is a lot brighter than mine.

Thanks for the pointers on the walking.  I find animation very intimidating, if it looks like it's moving and not just jittering about it feels like a huge accomplishment.  I've spent a lot of time trying to focus on the arms and just get the swing right but it just keeps looking wrong.  I bet if keep going at it I'll figure it out, but I need a break.  Here's what I have so far.  Since it's a guy's walk I tried to make the shoulders move, but it might be too much at that size.

I've starting working on buildings.  Here's a quick mockup.  I haven't finished with the tall grass tile yet, it has no edge tiles so I just mimicked them until I'm done with them.

Thanks for all the comments and help.  I feel like a beginner still, so it's good to know you enjoy what I've got so far.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:52:54 am by Sharm »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 09:26:07 am
aren't those arms a little short ? the animation is otherwise fluid and nice, I think. Maybe just take care of that "sudden jump" of he right feet when it's leaving the ground.

The house looks nice so far. Maybe a little bit too perfectly square-ish for a house in a forest (you could try to have larger stones just at the base, or a slightly larger tile at the edge of the roof). Of course, it will look better integrated as soon as you'll have grass/small flowers that grow nexto the base of the house ;)

Keep going. It's lovely.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 04:39:14 pm
You're right, it is all too neat.  I'm going to replace the roof with thatch and use that roof for a city tileset or something.  Maybe a few diagonal beams on walls will help the walls.  Hmm, the doors and windows could use a bit more charm.

Maybe the arm length is what's bugging me about the animation.  I'll have to try it when I tone down the shoulder movement.

Looks like I've got my work cut out for me today, if I can manage it. :lol:

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 04:53:53 pm
Walk cycle's looking better, but still needs a little work, mostly in the arms. When people walk, they exert strength through their forearms...when moving the arm forward, the hand is kind of leading. The shoulders don't really move back and forth like you've animated them, either. The upper arm just pivots from the shoulders when moving backwards...when moving forward, the  upper arm stops pivoting from the shoulder when the upper arm is pointing basically straight down...the rest of the forward movement of the arm is taken over by the forearm...

It's pretty hard to explain in text, hahah. Basically, right now it looks like you're guy is just wiggling his shoulders back and forth, while he lets his arms limply bounce around. The hands lead going forward, and the elbow leads going back. Try walking in slow motion to see it yourself, and then try copying your animation with your body, to see how different it feels. I'm not much of an animator, but when I draw or animate things, I find it very helpful to slowly act out what I'm doing until I understand the motion I'm trying to copy.

Good luck! Walk cycles aren't easy, so you're doing a great job. With a little more work, I think you'll have it looking great. =D
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 05:00:35 pm by jams0988 »