AuthorTopic: GR#096 - 32x32 RPG Tiles  (Read 37428 times)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

GR#096 - 32x32 RPG Tiles

on: November 06, 2011, 09:48:29 pm
I've been working on some RPG tiles for a while in an attempt to level up my pixel skills, and I think I've got it to the point where I could use some critique.

I've done the tiles up like RPG maker's auto tiles, since that seemed like the clearest way to figure out what had to connect where, but I'm not sure I've grasped the concept.  Things still aren't lining up, and they all look too square.

The bases are the most unfinished.

I can already see some errors that I need to fix, but I'd love to hear what everyone else has to say.

EDIT: Here's the latest stuff

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:51:21 am by Sharm »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Re: [WIP] 32x32 RPG tiles C+C

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 07:22:15 am
I really like the shapes. The sand, the ground and the foliage look great. I thought the colours could use some tweaking.. more saturation, more contrast:

Some interesting hue shifts would be nice as well. If you were able to include shadows then they'd make a huge difference. I edited the bottom half of the foliage and the trunk a little..

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 06:55:53 pm
What a great edit, thank you!  I hope you don't mind that I took the colors almost exactly.  I have a tendancy to make things either too grey or too saturated when I pick colors.  Everything looks more inviting now.

Here's what I did with the edit, plus fixing some tiling errors:

I also updated the bases:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:51:37 am by Sharm »

Offline milleja46

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 07:21:06 pm
Wow that's some great work...i gotta hand it to you  ;) (if only i could learn to do stuff that good :P my stuff needs serious help XD)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 12:21:36 am
Thank you!  I've been lurking and studying stuff for a while to try and pick up how others do it, I'm glad to know I've succeeded somewhat.

EDIT:  I'm attempting animation.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:51:48 am by Sharm »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 09:34:01 am
I think there's something wrong with the back-view of your character... Seeing so much of the neck suggest that the character's head is strongly bended downwards. that just kills the 3/4 perspective effect, imho.

I really love the environment, especially with the newer colours. Pay attention to the tree-to-ground transition and don't hesitate to make it a floor tile of its own so that cracks in the ground match the location of roots. It works better on the later mock-up, but Imho, there's still room for improvement. Something similar happens to sand-to-ground transition: you need to seriously lower the "dunes" effect at the edges so that we can reasonably believe that it's some sand that has moved up to the forest. Maybe these dune floor tiles should simply never be seen on the same screen as the other ground, and you'd better just have "sand dust over woods floor" instead.

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 05:53:38 pm
The back view was bugging me too, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it at first.  I think I've got it now.

I don't like the idea of a tile specifically for the bottom of the tree, I'd rather fix the tree to blend better with more tiles if there's still something wrong.  Still, I did do a couple of tiles just to test it out, see if you like it better.  I don't like it at all, I think I'd rather just make sure it's always on top of a loose dirt tile.

The edges on the loose dirt were way too sloppy, that's probably what's causing weirdness with the sand tile.  I went back and did it again, made it more on purpose.  I don't know if it fixed the volume problems, but I do like it a lot more.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:52:05 am by Sharm »

Offline JJ Naas

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart page

Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 02:57:34 pm
Regarding the edges of the dirt, this is how I'd do it:

(And then clean up the jaggies.)

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 05:49:55 pm
Okay, dirt tiles on top of sand isn't working.  That's fine, I was just experimenting anyway.  The sand transition didn't look as good over the loose dirt because sand flows differently over something like that, so I was trying to see if using the dirt transition on top instead would make it look more realistic. The sand seems to be working on the dry dirt though, so I'm going to call it good.  I'm going to start a desert mock up soon, so that this one can be pure forest.

I've added water tiles.  I was hoping to do the center plain so the sparkle could be a separate layer and placed wherever, but it's not looking so good.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 04:52:14 am by Sharm »

Offline milleja46

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 06:35:33 pm
I still say your tiles you're making are amazing there's not a thing i would change XD though it does remind me very much so of mana world(which i can't go back to playing now XD) But you've got some good work there  ::)