AuthorTopic: RENEGADE  (Read 10427 times)

Offline StaticSails

• View Profile

Re: RENEGADE

Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 05:19:04 pm
I'd play this game. That's some really cool previews you have there! My only problem is the "Insert Coin" screen. It looks a bit empty. Normally in those sort of screens, the whole cast would feature in the background or something like that so I think that the screen can be improved.
Or if you don't want to make any new assets you could just have that pan over a random level. I think Contra did that if you waited a while to press start.

Offline Lazycow

• Do androids dream of electric sheep?
    • flurrycow
    • flurrycow
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/15168.htm
    • View Profile
    • homepage

Re: "Renegade" game sketches, art and animations

Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 09:03:11 am

What about giving the foreground more contrast? (opps, I forgot to recolor one soldier)
A man touched down on the moon, a wall came down in Berlin, a world was connected by our own science and imagination. Yes we can!

Offline SimTheDog

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 11:52:22 am
The updated one works out much better! I can easily tell what the background is from the main platforms.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 05:59:44 pm
Yes, the latest update is much better in terms of readability. In fact, if you wanted to keep more of the atmosphere you've created that is more about the lower saturation palette ( which is very nice) you could tone down the saturation of the foreground and add some slightly darker values.
In terms of priority, these are your main tools to exploit- saturation and value. From there you just incremently take away from these based on the priority desired ( sprites full value, full saturation; foreground partial value, full saturation; background partial saturation, partial value) etc.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 13, 2011, 05:09:13 am
The latest edit is nice looking, but I think it sacrifices a lot of the game's atmosphere for readability. The edit right before it is still the best I think, striking a good balance. It was more than readable enough, I think, while still keeping the original moody style intact. =)

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 13, 2011, 06:52:00 am
Yeah, not liking those new dark saturated blues in the foreground at all.

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #16 on: November 13, 2011, 07:45:03 am
I think a balance between the last two edits would be best. The readability of the second one (and pushed further I would argue, because the sprites bleed into the foreground) without sacrificing the style and atmosphere of the previous edit/orig image. Maybe the sprites should be most saturated, whereas the foreground is only lighter,or more saturated than the BG, but less so than the sprites.

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 08:25:27 am
i like both variants, but now i ask myself -  if i make front more contrast, atmosphere will be lost or not? i think i should try
thanx for crits  guys :3

Offline Terley

• Terley is King, but he needs a new avatar.
    • View Profile

Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 02:27:59 pm
In terms of readability I do like Lazycow's edit, but for a game I feel this could all be perceived as too harsh on the eyes. The contrast with this is too extreme in my opinion but you definately could push the values more without loosing too much atmosphere. It is definately a stylistic option but with higher contrast you've sacrificed your control of saturation.

The motivation behind my edit was more to push you in the right direction as I didnt want you to stray too far from what works with your original concept, I feared too much of a radical change could put a huge spanner in your works.

Here I've made another edit to quickly to illustrate if you did want to inject a tad bit more contrast into this without sacrificing too much atmosphere,

(MEGAQUICK EDIT)

Also to distinguish the sprites a bit more, you could give your sprites a particular colour variable, I've also outlined your sprites.

Hope this helps you out.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 10:21:41 am by Terley »
I've not got anything interesting to type here..

Offline Corinthian Baby

• Meditating Pixel Placement
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: November 17, 2011, 04:30:44 pm
I really like that edit, much more clearly defined. However, I might even argue for the sprites to use that higher saturated blue from lazycow's edit, just to make them pop more. Especially if the mockup is the intended resolution, the sprites are relatively small in comparison to the landscape, you don't want them to get visually lost.