AuthorTopic: GR#081 - You Can Design a Kindergarten's Bathroom Pixel Art  (Read 50190 times)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: You Can Design a Kindergarten's Bathroom Pixel Art™

Reply #60 on: November 09, 2011, 11:18:42 pm
With pixels that large, does the single pixel noise actually hurt the image? Serious question, since I'm working with all 32x32 sprites blown up to 64x64 resolution to give my game that blocky look, and I'm not sure whether or not I should be using single pixels anywhere...

Offline trough

• View Profile

Reply #61 on: November 10, 2011, 03:22:47 pm
Aww, you didn't pick any of ui's  :(

Offline ui

• Venezuela
    • View Profile
    • http://www.iloveui.com

Reply #62 on: November 10, 2011, 06:36:56 pm

A1) Duck
A2) Chinese Monal
B) Squid and fishs
C) Jellyfish family (Grandpa, girl and boy)
D) Chinese Toad (Chan Chu)
J1) Golden Pheasant
J2) Crane
M) Giant Panda
N) Chow-Chow (blue)
O/P) Tradicional toy (Represent the Tiger)
Q) Frog

About Birds, they are based in this list. These birds are just in China.

In case the colors needs to be changed, let me know, i can fit the art into "any palette" or colors. Same as the position and composition. This obviously is not final, since i don't know the exact position of the doors and toilets, so the position defenly could change if needed.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #63 on: November 14, 2011, 05:20:27 pm
Any updates, Blood?

Offline Bloodfart

• View Profile

Reply #64 on: November 15, 2011, 12:32:24 am
Any updates, Blood?

Just logged in to update!

Things have been going slower than anticipated.

We are going to order the coloured tiles now but there may be a problem. After asking clearly to the seller and my wife that we can use any colour of tile in any number we want, they now say they don't want to produce any tiles if the total of that colour is less than 3 square meters. This is annoying as I asked to be made clear of any problems earlier.

I'm not taking this problem seriously yet though as confusing and aggravating information constantly comes up in China and just as often blows away.

I rreaaallly wish I could have used one or two of Ui''s piece but we don't have the wall space. I especially love the big squid. An entire bathroom done underwater would be awesome. I was going to use the panda for one bathroom piece but we felt we didn't couldn't use a green bathroom to match it.

So sorry Ui :( I love your work.

Offline Bloodfart

• View Profile

Reply #65 on: November 16, 2011, 03:07:16 am
I counted all of the tiles individually by colour and now we are heading out to buy.

Wish me luck!

Offline Bloodfart

• View Profile

Reply #66 on: November 16, 2011, 11:34:03 am
I'm back with good and bad news.

The good news: is that the company that sells tiles can take a picture (photo, or jpg drawing like the ones we have), rasterize it into tiles, and lay it on sheets for me! Then the workers just have to put the sheets on the wall instead of individual tiles.

Semi-bad news: They won't do the 5cm tiles. They will only do 5cm tiles in large sheets which messes up too much with our palette since some pieces use only a few tiles of certain colours.

The bad news: They won't even do some entire sets of colours. The purples and aquas are completely non-doable. They showed me a new palette that I took a picture of and the tiles are now reduced to 2.5cm.

Good news again: Since they will lay them in sheets for me based off of an image we can actually do four times the resolution in images. So I will either take the current images and just split each 5cm tile into four smaller ones, or possibly take any new awesome higher resolution art if anyone decides to supply some by tomorrow. :P

I was very upset upon hearing all this. When i had gone the first time i explicitly asked if we could use small numbers of some colours and that all the colours were available to which i was answered yes. They did not think things through to tell me about colour availability or size. This is a typical problem in China so i'm not super surprised.

I actually had asked when i was there the first time if there was an easy software way they went about doing mosaics; must've been lost in translation.

tl:dr
The resolution is now with 2.5cm tiles and there is a new palette. If anyone can change the colours of their art to match it that would be cool. If not i will let the computer software that they use do it for you. Also the possibility of higher resolution art to match the new tile sizes would be cool to consider though we need to order these things quickly.

I will get this done one way or another.

New pallette
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/80334
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 11:37:19 am by Bloodfart »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #67 on: November 16, 2011, 01:21:20 pm
Don't worry a bit. That palette is perfectly usable by pixel artists that have been doing with much, much less both in span and range.

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #68 on: November 16, 2011, 02:08:34 pm
Let's hurry up and put a bullet in this project before China launches their nukes or something.

Let's get this done.

So the resolution for the 3 areas has doubled now?

Are you still only doing the 3 areas?

Please give new dimensions of all custom tile areas, for clarity!

Here's the new palette guys:

I've simply taken Blood's image, did the average blur thing again, on each swatch and listed the resultant colors at the bottom.

And here's an indexed version of the entire 42 color palette, on transparency:

Wait for Blood to answer the above questions before you do anything. There's already been enough unnecessary effort made here . . .

Offline Bloodfart

• View Profile

Reply #69 on: November 16, 2011, 03:07:33 pm
Yes the resolution has doubled.

Still only doing the same three areas and the same sizes.

I'll likely keep the original three pieces i was going to use as we sort of matched the rest of the bathroom tiles to the colours.

My wife wants to email them now but its 11pm so I don't see any harm in waiting a few hours to see what anyone cooks up.