AuthorTopic: Orc fighter  (Read 4921 times)

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9092.htm
    • View Profile

Orc fighter

on: October 24, 2011, 10:54:51 pm
So, things I had in mind for this:
I noticed I was limiting myself too much on the color count thingy, often trying too hard to keep the colors low which did not make things nicer, so here I wanted to be very genrerous on the amount of colors!
Also, I wanted to take advantage of this piece being pixel art, and therefore use strong horizontal, vertical or diagonal lines and try out the excessive highlight thing like I see in some pieces (mrmo_tarius on pixeljoint for example)

So far it is going quite well I think, but let me know what you see!

Daniel

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Re: Orc fighter

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 08:54:01 pm
First of all, is this a male or female orc fighter ? ^^
So, in my opinion the anatomy is a bit curious.
The orcs breast are for a male fighter to feminine, the arms a bit to small, he looks
like he's in "defensive mode" right now ; ) The sword at its higher position contributes to this.
Define the hands and fingers a bit more, they look a bit plane.

I just quick edited your pic here and there - I know its rough and the anatomy
is far away from completed but i hope you can see what i mean.

Maybe this helps a bit:

In my opinion an orc fighter has to be big, beefy and has to have a huge weapon ^^
btw, is this a flag on his back ?

So long,
Lorath
A bite from a horse can definitely kill a hornet.

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 07:59:17 am
Hi Lorath,
Thanks for the help!

It is supposed to be a male orc, and yes it is a pretty defensive pose right now.
I dislike the chest you made right now, but looking into more chest pictures I see that I probably have to change some things ;). Originally I had a reference that had those inward diagonals on the top very very strongly and I thought it looked cool, but I can't find that picture any more, and most men hardly seem to have it.

As for the thing on his back: It is supposed to be an axe, but I know it reads very bad. Also it does not really serve a purpose so I think I will remove it completely. But doesn't he need at least one other weapon or something else to keep is coolness factor?

Yeah, the hands are pretty bad.. In your fingers you flipped the hands upside down, I am not sure if I like that, but at least the shape of the sword is much more obvious in your version! Also I will play a bit with the height of the sword.

Thanks!

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 08:34:42 am
Here's an orc I did last month using pain't default palette

I made him fat and muscular : D

Since your orc is twice the size you should be able to pack way more details in it : ) But first, try to get the basic shape right
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 09:59:31 am
Yeah, in my edit i almost didnt care of his stomach muscles, maybe that makes him look strange :)
It is of course a matter of opinion how you arrange the hands position but think of someone holding a
sword, ready for combat, every piece of body armed and ready, you wouldn't hold a weapon like this.
Its a bit hard to read but i only flipped his right hand to descripte the swords weight.
Or maybe i dont get the point ;)
Something more matching for an orcs coolnes-factor would be some leather-belts around his torso, torn armor or some
scars, maybe a rusty sword with spikes or something like that.

Yeah, thats a kind of shape i ment, redknight :) wonderfull ^^

So long,
Lorath

A bite from a horse can definitely kill a hornet.

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 01:15:04 pm

I started out with basic outlines and defining the actual stance with my tablet, then I worked beneath with colors and removed the outline resulting in the picture to the right, it is still a WIP but can be worked onward from that point to definition!

I took the attributes of your orc and made my version with a more dynamic and defensive stance, as you notice, I also gave it a notable lightsource to make the piece a little more dramatic! The colors are made up randomly but rather low saturated as a slimey orc would express more happiness and so on instead of blood and war!...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:01:12 pm by Elk »
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299

Offline hapiel

• PJ mod
    • hapiel
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 02, 2011, 10:35:10 am
Thanks for the great replies guys!  ::)

What do you think of these two copies I made? I will try to make some more poses myself as well.
All drawn with a mouse  :blind:

Offline Elk

• Choice Architect & Nudger
    • elkdarkshire
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/4683.htm
    • darkshire
    • darkshire.elk
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 02, 2011, 12:15:49 pm
There's definitely improvement there! And when you have everything correct contrast/anatomywise you can start the detailwork :P!
Open for business
elkdarkshire@gmail.com
Elk#2299