AuthorTopic: Fireball impact  (Read 3387 times)

Offline r0ber7

• Inspired by pixels.
    • View Profile

Fireball impact

on: October 20, 2011, 04:01:29 pm
Hello. I've been reading this forum for a while now and thought I'd join for some feedback. I'm coding a game and pixeling it too.

Lately I've been trying to get the fireball impact of my game improved. First three frames are fireball flying, after that is the impact anim.

The idea is to make flames burst out of the up and down sides of the fireball, while the velocity of impact breaks away the left side. I'm somewhat satisfied, but the flames on the edges don't seem right. Especially the last three screens kinda suck I think...

To see my game in action go here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLH6v1JKt4Q
Youtube mangles pixels though. :( Haven't figured out how to do HD video uploads yet.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 04:08:22 pm by r0ber7 »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Re: Fireball impact

Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 05:04:56 am
The fireball splatter takes way too long, imo. It takes almost a full second after impact for it to disappear! I don't know whether or not it's faster in-game, but it needs to be over in more like a third of a second, I think. If I had to make a sound effect for it right now, it'd be something like "SPLUUUUUUUUUDGE~" It should be more like "piff!" Know what I mean? =D

When you animate, make sure you make sound effects with your mouth to remind yourself of what your timing should be. The dumber you sound, the better. That's my questionable advice to you. :3

Offline r0ber7

• Inspired by pixels.
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 07:49:54 am
The gif is way slower than ingame. I slowed it down for clarity.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 02:40:25 pm
^Ah, well, do you have one playing at normal speed? It's hard to tell how an animation works when it's playing at the wrong speed, heheh. It might look great played at its normal speed, but we don't really have any way of knowing that without you showing us. =(

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 11:07:11 pm
It looks more like its a fire glob than a fireball.  It smushes into the wall.  To be honest I'm not sure how you would do it.  Hmmm...maybe what you want is for the fire to splay out and vanish really quick.  I'd make an example of what I think that might look like but I'm at work right now.

Offline Kcilc

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 03:07:46 am
Here ya go. I made a little edit for you.

Generally, if an animation looks like something slow, it'll look mostly the same fast.

I'd say the most important thing for you to do right now is really think about how your subject behaves in real life. Does real fire and smoke do what you have on that canvas? What would it actually do if you don't think you got it? The things I see are the smoke doesn't go up. It kinda just goes away from the main blast as though it was a pebble dropped into water. Another thing is that flames are very volatile, and they tend to make really fast explosive flashes.

I don't feel very coherent right now, so I might just be spewing crap, but I hope the edit can help.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 05:23:29 pm
The things I see are the smoke doesn't go up. It kinda just goes away from the main blast as though it was a pebble dropped into water. Another thing is that flames are very volatile, and they tend to make really fast explosive flashes.
I like your edit, but I actually think it makes sense for the smoke *not* to go up. It makes it look like the back of the fireball is pushing into the wall, while the front dissipates. Like taking a ball of clay and smushing it, but much faster, heheh. I like your edit because it's the correct speed, and looks much more...fire-ish. But I like his original because it looks more fireball-ish. If the pros of both your versions were stuck together, we'd have a winner I think, hahah.