AuthorTopic: Too abstract?  (Read 2838 times)

Offline Calx

• View Profile

Too abstract?

on: October 23, 2011, 08:56:58 pm
Hello!
I am trying to be more active in the medium, so I started making a rather large background (This is a mere fraction of it).
Preferably, I do not post my WIPs, as they are messy and incoherent.
However, I am dreadfully indecisive and I cannot finish this without some opinions, other then my own.
My issue is with the texture, I am afraid it is too abstract and because of this, I wonder if it is a poor representation of a tree.
So what do you think?
Is it too abstract and unrecognizable? A bit too bubbly perhaps? Or is it fine as is?

Note: The pallete is a "working pallete" and not finalized in any way.
 :-\

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Re: Too abstract?

Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 09:06:52 pm
it's a good start. I would think about the direction of the woodgrain/bark.. the roundness/bubbleness doesn't imply to the eye any specific direction to the surfaces. Generally, the sight of an edge indicates a change in surface angle, so try to keep in mind what the edges of the tones are doing, if everything is rounded, you won't get a cylindrical form to the wood fibers.

Offline Calx

• View Profile

Re: Too abstract?

Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:56:23 am
it's a good start. I would think about the direction of the woodgrain/bark.. the roundness/bubbleness doesn't imply to the eye any specific direction to the surfaces. Generally, the sight of an edge indicates a change in surface angle, so try to keep in mind what the edges of the tones are doing, if everything is rounded, you won't get a cylindrical form to the wood fibers.

Late response, but great critique, I'll keep this in mind in the future. I think I'm going to throw this into the pile of unfinished works, so I can have more focused practice with textures.
Again, thanks.  (: