AuthorTopic: C+C on swords  (Read 2069 times)

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

C+C on swords

on: November 06, 2011, 01:16:11 pm
Hey, I have just started pixel-ling items, and I have made two 32x swords so far. What needs added and what needs to be taken away?

The first is meant to be very decorative and elegant (and made of diamond):

the second is meant to be Semi-Steampunk:

Any edits are welcome! :3

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: C+C on swords

Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 07:13:34 pm
I did a colour count on the diamond sword and got, what, 24 or 27 colours? Regardless, that's a lot of unnecessary colours that aren't even distinguishable in this piece. However, the main problem that I have with these are that they lack shape - that is to say, they look very flat (and dull). I did an edit on the diamond sword with 10 colours used, and tried to make it pop out more:

The lighting is quite arbitrarily done, maybe (I'm lazy). But I mainly wanted to show how you could make the shape stand out more, even with fewer colours. What's important is contrast. Especially with small objects like these, where every pixel is important and must be used to convey as much as it possibly can.

Other than that, I think you've got a pretty cool looking sword. It just needs to stand out more.  :)
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag