AuthorTopic: Sketchbook!  (Read 2549 times)

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Sketchbook!

on: October 19, 2011, 03:01:49 pm
I've been sketchbooking daily again and I've decided it's about time to start one of those threads on conceptart or polycount so I can get guidance and opinions on what I need to grow and get some general feedback from other artists, but neither of those communities is home to me. I wish Pixelation had some sort of sketchbook forum or something. I feel like I'd get the advice I need to hear posting here, we have very good painters and inkers and other types of artists who'd be able to offer good guidance and critique.

Any chance this has ever been considered, maybe a subforum? I guess there's not really enough interest to warrant that (and it is a pixel art forum and hasn't strayed much besides low poly over the years), but thought I'd ask. c:

Thanks Helm!

I used to sketch quite a lot. I stopped when school/work was requiring painting/pixelling and I couldn't find the time (or energy) to actually devote more of my time to traditional art. I lost most of my traditional muscle memory (how do I hold that damn pencil, and make lines worth keeping!) and was feeling depressed about it. Until I decided to do something about it....

Brush pen+White Gel pen

Here's a series of posemaniacs studies to start things off. 1-5 mins each, would go back in with gel pen and clean up foreground limbs or use it to erase... Not the cleanest, but I feel like both steps were important, the brush step would allow me to learn the flow of the figure and the gel step would let me concentrate on the topography of the figure and the contour and digest what I'd just drawn. In the future I'd like to get a lot cleaner at it with more success and less gel.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:47:59 pm by Atnas »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Sketchbooks?

Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:05:17 pm
Go ahead and use this thread for your needs. If other people contribute in a similar fashion, we'll discuss systemizing it.

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Sketchbook!

Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 08:46:21 pm
Updated the first post. c:

Here's one of yesterday's pages:

What I need to work on most is construction. Jad told me a while ago and I didn't take it it heart, but I really REALLY need better construction skills. Besides the wonky leg anatomy and the insecurities with feet, the no reference legcrotchtorso figure came out really well in my opinion.

I REALLY want to learn how to ink properly. Dwarf was me trying to learn how to ink. I watched videos of manga artists and comic book artists - both published, and tried to absorb what they were doing...

I have some experience, two years ago I did some manga studio drawings:
http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/fatprev.gif and http://www.lolipopsicle.com/linky/brainwip4.gif

But I'm interested in learning how to do it WITHOUT needless carving. I have a set of pens .03mm - 1mm and a small and medium brush pen I'm trying to use towards this end. When I was inking the dwarf I wished I had a smaller pen - the solution seems to be just to draw bigger.

Will update later tonight/tomorrow with another page depending on how things turn out. Everything but the dwarf was aimless and masturbatory, I guess. I have a mind to draw some animals from reference as well as some inanimate objects so it isn't all heads on a page.

Let me know if I type too much, I've never done this before and I don't know if it's pleasant to have walls of explanatory text or if I should just post the images and look for crits/feedback dry.