AuthorTopic: RPG tiles  (Read 4289 times)

Offline Carl Winslow

• Hard-Boiled Donut Dunker
    • View Profile

RPG tiles

on: October 14, 2011, 11:45:48 pm
I am currently working on a tileset for an RPG-esque thing that doesn't really have a name or anything yet.

these are all pretty basic, so I feel they could be alot better. any thoughts?

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Re: RPG tiles

Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 12:02:32 am
i feel like the grass could use some saturation

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 01:24:41 am
I highly recommend drastically decreasing your overall noisiness - a full mockup of those tiles is going to be visually strenuous.

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 01:57:34 am
I highly recommend drastically decreasing your overall noisiness - a full mockup of those tiles is going to be visually strenuous.

to expand on this.. You don't have to necessarily decrease the noisiness of your tiles, you can simply add more variety by creating more tiles that have variable amounts of noisiness.

Offline Carl Winslow

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 04:46:40 pm
thank you for the critique! I'll get on fixing these issues once I get some time away from my job.
Also thanks for confirming my suspicion that the base tiles are too busy. I was eventually gonna have several different tiles, but seeing as the single tiles are super busy, I'll try and revise them so they don't cause such issues, then get to adding other tiles after fixing that.

Offline Carl Winslow

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 04:05:49 pm
I haven't had any real time to work on this again of late, but at the very least I did try something I figured might work.

entirely removing the brightest shade of the grass seemed to work well for it's contrast. I also gave it some saturation. that's about all I've been able to do though. is this change helpful, or does it make things worse?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:08:27 pm by Carl Winslow »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:08:11 am
Yes, ok. That does help. Though when I think of game tile design with minimal noise/detail, I seem to go back to ZLTTP:

Obviously, Zelda: A Link to the Past demonstrates a different art direction, but you at least see it's supreme simplicity allowing us as viewers to focus only on important things - something highly valuable in game design.
I still remember beating ZLTTP in only 6 days, as soon as it came out . . .
Of course, you have yet to show a complete mockup with sprites and everything so we can't judge the overall functionality of your tile designs. I'm just highlighting something fundamental I think very important to consider at the outset of a game design project.

Offline imnumberfour

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 07:20:13 pm
I would love for you to make a minecraft texture pack, I think this work is gorgeous as is.

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 21, 2011, 05:13:09 am
I like the way you animated the water. It's very simple, but it works well. =D
What resolution is the full screen gonna be? It'd be easier to give critiques if we had a little scene to look at.