AuthorTopic: Remake mock-up  (Read 7431 times)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Remake mock-up

on: May 23, 2006, 01:38:08 pm
Was bored and decided I'd try to remake the classic Zelda for NES.
I still plan on adding/changing some things, so I guess you can call it a WIP.

Offline xio

• Will crit for food.
    • View Profile

Re: Remake mock-up

Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 07:32:28 pm
Well, it looks a lot like the classic Zelda, but it also looks very boring. I can see that you have added more colors thatn the original, so why not add more detail aswell? There are hugh single color patches on most of the map, some added texture should help bring this peice to life and serve as good practice. I hope that wasn't too harsh. You do have a good start here.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 09:52:42 pm
Well constructive criticism is never harsh.

Anyways, like I mentioned I plan to add some more, including more detail and probably some grass and rocks.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 07:59:04 am
Here's an edit:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 08:08:26 am
oh wow, amazing how much of a difference just one rocks tile can do to give levels and depth to the otherwise single-color ground.

Offline .TakaM

• View Profile
    • Fetch Quest

Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 09:41:34 am
well, the tiles are alright albeit a bit boring and nothing I havent seen before, but what I think the main problem is is that nintendo has already done exactly what you want to do, zelda BS anyone?
Life without knowledge is death in disguise

Offline big brother

• herculeanpixel.com
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio Site

Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 10:01:59 am
Technical nitpick - I would lose the dither in the cave entrance. It's the only place in the entire screen you used dithering, and it seems like you are going for a simple look.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 12:14:44 pm
well, the tiles are alright albeit a bit boring and nothing I havent seen before, but what I think the main problem is is that nintendo has already done exactly what you want to do, zelda BS anyone?

Ya, I'm well aware it's already been done. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy doing it myself. It was my way of seeing if I could manage to get some tiles done in an 8x8 limitation. I don't really know how to get it anymore 'entertaining' to stop it from being boring without drastically going in another direction with the tiles and pulling away from a simple style that Zelda has.

And I'll try to rid the dithering. It was something I messed with going back and forth, but just couldn't get a smooth, but good look going, so I just went with dithering.

Thanks.

EDIT: Here's a cave edit:

And for utter comparision, BS, Classic, and mines:

I try to keep with the simplistic Zelda style, but not exactly copying or merging with the BS tiles.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:37:38 pm by Dusty »

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 03:08:05 pm
Yeah, I don't see why it matters if Zelda BS is around.

I'd suggest some more saturation in general. Looks like an overcast day in Hyrule. The left-facing and right-facing walls look awfully straight. An easier transition between the grass and dirt couldn't hurt. The HUD could use some updating and revising. The map really wouldn't be at the top of the screen anymore. The order would probably be shifted too so that LIFE is over in the left. The ornate A and B button indicators seem a bit simple if you're going for an ornate look. Your bomb gets lost in the black. Finally, Link seems a bit compact.