AuthorTopic: WIP: Beat 'em up!  (Read 8955 times)

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Re: WIP: Beat 'em up!

Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 10:23:12 pm
So, time for daily update!

I have made another sprite for the mockup. It might seem kind of odd.
It's John Silver from the japanese animation, Takarajima!

A crippling you don't mess with :D

Does he read well enough thou?

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:19:32 pm by Paiku »

Offline Markus

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 11:30:10 pm
I don't think the UI fits the rest of the game  :-X

The number (60) looks kindoff weird because of lack of AA I guess? And.. Yea.. You should try reusing some colours from the rest of the game in it I think  :y:

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #12 on: October 09, 2011, 08:53:02 am
Good points Markus, the colors of the UI, mainly the bar and the counter were popping out. Perhaps to much.

I did a bit of editing this morning, hope it's going in the right direction ::)

Edit: Ughh... is it just me or has the counter become somewhat harsh to the eye..?? :blind:
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:02:58 am by Paiku »

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: October 09, 2011, 09:44:34 am
The UI looks better, though I didn't think the last one was so bad either. The colors on that one corresponded to the colorfullness of the fighters, the other, presumably, active part of the image. There's a healthy contrast between the objects that are active in the image and the objects that are just background. Though beautiful, the backround doesn't give away any information that's relevant to the gameplay itself. The health bars and timer, though, do. As such, it's okay if they stand out a bit, and as much as the fighters themselves do.

The new one works too, though a bit cold. I guess maybe it's just personal preference.

One thing that bugs me is that the character Juro looks like he's facing away from the "center stage", and thus his opponent. It's like he's focusing his eyes on something outside the image. Long John, on the other hand, is facing his opponent. But their eyes don't meet.

You see what I mean? I guess it could be fixed by just turning Juros head slightly.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 11:09:02 am
Great observation, eye contact is missing. Kinda takes away the intense atmosphere of a good battle.

Tack Charlieton! :y:

Oh and edit:

I shall quit spamming this board with updates now, for awhile. :-X
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 11:18:22 am by Paiku »

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 09:21:08 pm
The First guy Juro looks like the pose is going to fall, mostly due to the legs.

The second guy Long John looks amazing, but he looks extremly tall compared to juro, mostly the legs, then apart from that the heads of both player look tiny, mostly the Juro one, same with the arms of Long John yet in the reference you posted the arms are that lenght anyways this is just a small edit just strech and rotate...

Offline Batzy

• Huzzah....
    • View Profile
    • GameBros

Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 01:49:21 am
Almost everything is looking great here  :y: some points i came up with mostly with that juro i'm going to ignore that hud for now cause i've not worked with those much myself

Shadows circles.... err... yea.. they're only circles now it just looks stupid i'd remove them completely or do them kinda like this

Back in old days some people did those circles below character and even nowadays rarely but mainly because systems used those times weren't so good but in my opinion they just look silly and unrealistic.

Anyway lets get on with this, not sure if it's cause of my monitor but i'll say it anyway, character colors are looking a lot more solid than before and i'm not sure if it's a good thing. Compare your first images character colors on these new ones, older ones were much more light than these new ones i personally liked those cloths with more light, skin colors in new version are beter tho.

UMM... yeah that's pretty much all i have to say now oh and what's up with this canvas size? looks pretty small currently, going for 2x? or is this supposed to be for Iphone or Android phones? or what? xD

also Kren had some good points there above!

Offline Paiku

• View Profile
    • >Game art portfolio<

Reply #17 on: October 10, 2011, 02:05:47 pm
Okay, excellent feedback and points from you guys. I've tried my best to correct some of the flaws.

Juro got a new look while I tried enlarging his head. Thou I think it matches Long John's more cartoonish face better now.
Also switched the old-school shadows to the more realistic shape according to Batlorder. I like this better actually.

The resolution is based on NeoGeo hardware, 320×224. Other than that, I have no intention to make a game out of it.    

Althou not perfect I'm considering this a final update for now:

Again, thank you for all the help :y:
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:44:43 pm by Paiku »

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:35 pm
The pirate dude looks awesome. However the Japanese(?) dude's arms are too long, aren't they? It looks to me like his hands would reach his knees if he put his arms to his sides. He looks really stubby because of this, I think. His arms look as long as the pirates, and the pirate dude has like a foot of height on him, heheh. Overall, the picture is very good, though. Nice and appealing. I prefer the yellow UI over the purple one, too...

Also, have you watched Princess Mononoke? The two deer in the background remind me of that...