AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Pirate mermaid (partial nudity)  (Read 3141 times)

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

[WIP][C+C] Pirate mermaid (partial nudity)

on: October 06, 2011, 08:07:07 pm
Been working on this on and off for years now, and this has been through several revisions. This is what I've got so far.

I could call it done, honestly, but I still think I could add more stuff to it. I'm considering expanding it to 320x240 and adding a ship's derelict to the right, and some other rocks. But right now, I'd like some criticism and tips.

I'm not really happy with the water or the rocks, to be honest, and especially how water interacts with the rocks. I'm wondering what would you guys do differently. The clouds are ok. I'm happy with the mermaid as she is, but maybe I'm not seeing something obviously wrong.

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:36:58 am by 1ucas »

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Pirate mermaid (partial nudity)

Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 11:10:08 am
I'm not really happy with the water or the rocks, to be honest, and especially how water interacts with the rocks. I'm wondering what would you guys do differently. The clouds are ok. I'm happy with the mermaid as she is, but maybe I'm not seeing something obviously wrong.

Thoughts?
Yes, there's definately something "off" with the water/stone-interaction. It doesn't look like there any interaction at all, in fact. The rock appears to be lying directly on top of the water, which in turn seems to be much too opaque to me. At sea, there would be foam building up around the rock, and water splashing up over it when waves hit. There's a contradiction in how the water in the picture looks very fierce, with its sharp edges, and how the rock looks perfectly unaffected by this.

Here's a reference to support my point:

It's not optimal, but I like that it somewhat shows the difference between the rocks interaction with still-standing water, and with fierce, moving water.

Here's another, which is closer to the motif that you have, and shows the rocks surrounded by active water:

Hope that helps a bit!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 11:16:23 am by Charlieton »
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag

Offline Mike

• View Profile
    • Scribble onto the Abyss

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 01:01:54 pm
The simplest way to add interaction with the water and rocks is white foamy parts.  In wind waker there's always white outlines where islands or rocks are in the water

Offline 1ucas

• Prolific procrastinator
    • View Profile
    • Toxic Dump

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 06:24:22 pm
Made some changes: