AuthorTopic: Caleb's Pixel Art Thread  (Read 7009 times)

Offline Caleb Hystad

• Animation Director / Game Developer
    • View Profile
    • 8x8pixels

Caleb's Pixel Art Thread

on: October 01, 2011, 08:42:05 pm
Hey guys, just wanted to show some recent artwork.

Earlier this year I did a couple of DOOM series.  Here they are all lined up.
DOOM

DOOM II

And some Ninja Turtles.

Let me know what you think!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 05:12:27 pm by Caleb Hystad »

Offline redballoon

• View Profile

Re: Caleb's Pixel Art Thread

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 10:05:13 pm
I do like incredibly lo-res pixel art - I like the challenge of less is more and that a pixel or two is enough for you to know and understand what you are seeing....on the minus side, though, could you post a GIF or something as the JPEG you've posted just makes your work "blurry". As I look at them, I keep saying to myself that I should go and get my glasses to view the images....and I don't even wear glasses. So, yeah, GIF us up and ditch the JPEGs so we can get your work in it's crisp glory, please.

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 11:13:33 pm
Great work, i just love it  :-*
Im kinda stuck on minimalistic pixelart (yes,this is possible :) ) and i must really say,
that's the greatest thing I've seen the past times. This is of course my personal opinion with
alot of influence from the game / serie itself ;)
As redballon said, pls upload a .png image to see it better.

But 1 question: what is this "thing" beneath the candle to the left ?(Doom1) Cant remember that white thing ? :S

Keep it up,

so long
Lorath
A bite from a horse can definitely kill a hornet.

Offline Caleb Hystad

• View Profile
    • 8x8pixels

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:24:52 pm
The above images have been replaced with PNG's so you can pull in as close as you like!  There is also an actual pixel scale version at the bottom of each image.

redballoon - I try to work as low pixel count as I can.  These characters aren't all as small as they could be though, because tried to keep their sizes relative.
Lorath - Thanks, I appreciate it!  As to your question, that's a Spectre.  They're just invisible versions of the pink Demons.  I didn't want to take the easy way out and copy the other sprite, so it's a pose from the side of him biting the player.

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 07:12:05 pm
As to your question, that's a Spectre.  They're just invisible versions of the pink Demons.  I didn't want to take the easy way out and copy the other sprite, so it's a pose from the side of him biting the player.

I just thought of the invisible Demon but i wasnt able to identifie it as one :S
Maybe the copy & paste way wouldve been the better way ^^
Ive got the problem that i see 2 faces in this sprite and cant see the "real one".
I dont know if im the only one with that problem ?  :-[

Anyway, good work :D
A bite from a horse can definitely kill a hornet.

Offline Caleb Hystad

• View Profile
    • 8x8pixels

Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 08:45:20 pm
Lorath - I think you're right, it would be more clear if they were in the same pose.

Here's a little sword guy animation!

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 11:47:58 pm
That little sword guy is amazing. Really makes me want to do something in the same style.

The Doom stuff is great too. The ones I would change up a bit are the Arch-Vile (fire looks like lightning and stance is not similar to the game sprite) and the Revenant (just really took me a while to recognise that thing. In the game, it's more tall and lanky.)

Offline Dorian

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 06, 2011, 02:14:13 pm
Your art style is fantastic. I love the way each pixel is carefully purposefully placed.
Also, the sword animation. I think I've watched that go about 100 times now, and its still amazing. 

Offline Caleb Hystad

• View Profile
    • 8x8pixels

Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 08:23:58 pm
cels - It's true, I took a bit more liberty with the design of the DOOM II sprites than the first ones.  The Revenant is pretty much just a tall skeleton with these little rocket launchers on his shoulders, so I almost completely redesigned him to work with my style.

Dorian - Thank you, it can take me longer than I'd like to admit to place those pixels.  The animation just sort of happend one night, but it's got me itching to do some more.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 06, 2011, 09:21:30 pm
These are all really nice! Sorry I can't offer much criticisms though. I can't, partially because I'm not too familiar with the objects you're portraying, and partially because I think there really isn't much to improve on, anyway.

Nevertheless, I, too, love the jumping sword-guy, and it inspired me to try and make something similarly "simple" in style:

I admit it that it's rather lazily done, but I had fun while animating it nonetheless!  :-[

Are you working on one too, cels? ;D
I'd just love to see more of these crop up.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag