AuthorTopic: [WIP] Sci-fi scene  (Read 3251 times)

Offline cels

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/32715.htm
    • View Profile

[WIP] Sci-fi scene

on: September 25, 2011, 12:55:13 pm
Here's a piece I'm working on these days. I'm open for feedback on any area, but at the moment I'm having a hard time finding the colours I want to use. It's difficult to create contrast whilst still maintaining a sense of unity and tying the piece together. The statues in the background will be fixed, but I'm not quite sure how to improve the girl, except give her hair better texture.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 12:00:39 am by cels »

Offline cels

• View Profile

Re: Sci-fi scene

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 12:00:26 am
I hope double posting is ok  ;D

I've tried to work a bit on the colours, as I felt that the piece lacked unity. There were blue areas, red areas, yellow areas and green areas, without any clear bridges. So I've tried to amend that.

Offline Cesque

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sci-fi scene

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:48:22 am
I'll bump this up because I really like the picture (and your second version does indeed look better). Two comments, though.

First of all, the shroud/bag/curtain/material and (to a lesser extend) the shirt look pillow shaded. I know it's because of the folds, but still, the light looks rather unrealistic - I think it's supposed to come from the centre of the room, so why is the shroud illuminated from every single direction (compare the shirt, where it looks a bit better)? It seems too bright in general, maybe you could change it to a colour that matches the statues or the rest of the room, or maybe make the folds less visible (again, like the shirt).

Second, the hands of the statues in the back look a bit weird. They don't seem to match the symmetry of the structure they're upholding, and the hands closer to the edge of the picture (on both sides) have pixel clusters.

Offline cels

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Sci-fi scene

Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 11:55:29 pm
Thanks a lot for that, Cesque.

I agree about the curtain material. It's just a very early version as a preview, to show people what I have in mind. I will work a lot on the colors. I'm also trying to figure out how the fabric will fold, because it was supposed to have covered the android. But with all the puppet strings, how can you really cover the android with a single piece of fabric, unless it was attached to the ceiling like a shower curtain? Meditate on that, I will.

I have tried to emphasize the light source in this latest version, as the main light source is not from the centre of the room, but actually from the right. The light beam in the centre is a secondary light source, but very weak, like a laser beam.

In regards to the statues in the back, it's way too early to worry about pixel clusters, as I'm going to have to start all over with their horrible anatomy. They're just placeholders, to test out colours and composition. But you make an interesting point about the angle of their hands, because I'm not sure how to get those right. Perhaps their fingers should follow the perspective lines toward the center of the picture? I'm not sure how to get this right without breaking their wrists.