AuthorTopic: [wip] Bilou's school : Pendats goes marchin' in [c+c]  (Read 102743 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [wip] Bilou's school : owlish background [c+c]

Reply #100 on: November 24, 2012, 11:43:39 am
=> -&- =>

A slight update. I did experiments to follow suggestions of the "ribs" on laying books or round up the spine of standing book, but that did not resulted in anything convincing. My best move will thus be to keep them as 2 different generation of books, one having leather-like cover that let them have rounded spine, and the others being made of stronger material that make their spine be flat and rib-reinforced.

As suggested, I made the spine of standing book larger and added complementary tiles to offer shadow effects on the book stack.

I'd like to draw more inspiration from moket's edit ... for background objects, maybe.

PS: please ignore the cyan things at random positions: there's a gameplay experiment in progress.
PPS: oops. It looks like I still have tiling errors in those standing books. I'll post a fixed mockup asap. fixed.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 09:00:46 am by PypeBros »

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #101 on: November 26, 2012, 07:21:49 pm
I  thought that your book is going to look even more better if you make more detail! Here is my edit.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #102 on: November 30, 2012, 12:14:01 pm
@beetleking22: I like that. I'll do my best to improve the spines along these lines without introducing back the kind of noise I initially had.

<--old -#- new -->

Meanwhile, I think I pin-point'd some shadow/lightning issues with the books. I'm not yet fully done, but that looks like a step in the right direction to me. Does it to you too ?

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #103 on: December 05, 2012, 03:36:42 pm
@beetleking22: I like that. I'll do my best to improve the spines along these lines without introducing back the kind of noise I initially had.

<--old -#- new -->

Meanwhile, I think I pin-point'd some shadow/lightning issues with the books. I'm not yet fully done, but that looks like a step in the right direction to me. Does it to you too ?

Yeah that is better but make more rounded shadow and the book paper end angle is too triagled.. i think its should be more rounded.. Also I made for you some kind of paper texture...forgive my bad english..

Edit.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:38:30 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #104 on: December 05, 2012, 04:25:34 pm
thanks for the tip, Beetleking.
It also looks like I should stick to 1 colour for the shadow (and pick one that will unambiguously read as a shadow), and possibly allow some colours to be used as AA.

When comparing my curent books to your edit, the attempt to have "progressive" shadowing simply doesn't work.

Btw, I think I will drop the "diagonal shadows" too, and just have 2 levels of shading, with book-like shape as transition. Hopefully, that should allow me to use the additional tiles to build better textures for the paper and book spines (I'm over-repeating some 8-pixels tile, atm).

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #105 on: December 05, 2012, 08:58:04 pm
thanks for the tip, Beetleking.
It also looks like I should stick to 1 colour for the shadow (and pick one that will unambiguously read as a shadow), and possibly allow some colours to be used as AA.

When comparing my curent books to your edit, the attempt to have "progressive" shadowing simply doesn't work.

Btw, I think I will drop the "diagonal shadows" too, and just have 2 levels of shading, with book-like shape as transition. Hopefully, that should allow me to use the additional tiles to build better textures for the paper and book spines (I'm over-repeating some 8-pixels tile, atm).

Yeah agree you should use few color for shadow because your 4 colors shadow does not have much difference because they are almost the same color.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #106 on: December 31, 2012, 02:39:01 pm
Huge thanks to all those who have helped with the graphics, and best wishes for the new year to everybody. I don't think the visuals have strongly changed since the last screenshots/mockups, but now you've got an updated playable demo if you've got compatible hardware.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #107 on: February 09, 2013, 09:27:31 pm

the inkjet throwing out some ink (well, the ink droplets aren't rendered yet).
it's not yet satisfying and still very static, unfortunately  :-[

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [wip] Bilou's school : inkjet [c+c]

Reply #108 on: March 03, 2013, 02:27:23 pm

Better movement, but eyes can still be improved.
What's your impression about it ?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013, 10:41:25 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #109 on: March 03, 2013, 02:28:44 pm
It doesn't jump a whole lot, but the actual movement/stretch is very "big". Doesn't seem right.
Discord: Ennea#9999