AuthorTopic: [wip] Bilou's school : Pendats goes marchin' in [c+c]  (Read 102758 times)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Re: [wip] Bilou's school : owlish background [c+c]

Reply #70 on: September 01, 2012, 01:39:18 pm
have fun -- release notes

(now I gonna take care of those laundry issues :P)

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #71 on: September 01, 2012, 06:29:42 pm
Thanks a lot for the carving edit, Facet. That was exactly the kind of counter-point I was needing to keep progressing ...
I'd think about going more chunky/planar for the wood carvings,
I like how you used the mid-tone for a second level of shadow *outside* of the carving.

also symmetry; symmetry is great for finding elegant, appealing designs even if you want a directional lightsource or detailing in the end.
Yus! I should have figured this out on my own. Plus, the mirror-capable hardware is gonna love it. I just need to find something that is not a flower ...

I thought the BG whorl pattern was a bit busy/repetitive, perhaps some occasional stand-alones might be nicer, mine actually turned out way heavy-handed and a bit weird, but the idea is there anyway.
There is indeed a balance to find here. I'll explore that path. And yeah, yours are indeed a bit creepy ...
They'd be wonderful in a haunted mansion ^_^

Will come back shortly with a revised version.
edit ... hmmm ... I started by re-defining the silouhetto and main lines in gimp over the current background layer and I got a nice surprise:

Symmetry chops the own thing into a nice 64-pixel wide vertical slice, which is just what SEDS can handle natively: I'll be able to work on the revised owl with my favourite stylus ^_^ ... erhm. .. and I just messed up width and heights :P maybe It's time I get some sleep ^^"
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:38:52 pm by PypeBros »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 05:00:19 am

meanwhile, I'm upgrading my tools to support the multi-palette feature of SEDS. So here's an alternate tint for the books. I hope I did the hue shift properly.

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #73 on: September 28, 2012, 07:15:31 am
at last, the final (?) touch on books. I'm afraid I'll need a second book cover tile for some of the angles, unfortunately (@ black question mark).

I'd have loved to post an update on the owl too, but that will have to wait for the week-end, I'm afraid.

Offline Beetleking22

• View Profile

Reply #74 on: September 28, 2012, 03:32:18 pm
at last, the final (?) touch on books. I'm afraid I'll need a second book cover tile for some of the angles, unfortunately (@ black question mark).

I'd have loved to post an update on the owl too, but that will have to wait for the week-end, I'm afraid.

Nice improvement! I think it has now much better perspective than before and Owl looks awesome too. Offtopic but I really really love your apple bat.. Imo it is best bat desing ever.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 03:33:55 pm by Beetleking22 »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #75 on: September 29, 2012, 12:34:25 pm
My editor has failed me again, unfortunately, so I can't show "pixel" art yet, but here come two reconstructed owls from a picture of my screen as it crashed trying to save my work. The good thing is, by re-starting again and again, I'm becoming more comfortable with this :P

(The DSi screen has strong "column" artefact, which doesn't help recovering pixels from the picture >_<)

Offtopic but I really really love your apple bat.. Imo it is best bat desing ever.
Thank you. I'm a bit unsure whether you mean the applebat or the berrybat, but I'm glad you appreciate it. I had need for something more separated from regular applemen at the end, so I dropped applebat in favour of berrybats ...

(alternate carved owl reference)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:14:13 pm by PypeBros »

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #76 on: October 03, 2012, 05:46:33 pm
Ah, shame about the lost progress. The feet are really large in that off-screen shot, actually my attention thus drawn I think owls have an opposable front toe (perching owls) so they mostly perch two toes forward, two back like parrots; whether that really matters though...  :crazy:

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #77 on: October 05, 2012, 11:29:10 am
Ah, shame about the lost progress. The feet are really large in that off-screen shot,
yep, I noticed that when posting, too. I prefer the proportions of yours, so I updated my working copy. I'll try to post the "up-scaled" 128x160 sized owl this week-end.

actually my attention thus drawn I think owls have an opposable front toe (perching owls) so they mostly perch two toes forward, two back like parrots; whether that really matters though...  :crazy:
You pay attention to details, don't you ?

Well, I've flickered a little bit myself, too, and it doesn't look to be a "family" thing (like mammals having 4 legs) but more a "species" thing, with some flavour of owls using indeed 2+2 and others (as far as I can tell from pictures) using 3+1. I deliberately ommit a lot of owls from my investigation because in french, we have different names for "ear-wearing" owls (Hiboux) and ear-less owls (chouettes), with only the former conveying an intuitive image of wisdom and teacher-role.

So, I'll stick to my 3-toes-forward character. I won't really matter in a school where books learn to write and hard-lead pencils go on night-watch, indeed :P

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #78 on: October 07, 2012, 08:25:17 pm
The "pictured" image was almost impossible to recover. I just used it as a base and re-painted over it.

-> - vs -
I cannot call it done ... Looking at it in its full size makes me realize that it lacks volume in multiple places, and that the belly highlight isn't working as expected ... nor are the wings "large feathers" .. it almost reminds of some tire manufacturer's mascot :P

(colors are not definitive at all).

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #79 on: October 09, 2012, 10:16:17 pm
Looking pretty swag, latest version is much more characterful and coherent with your world aesthetic than your first couple drafts or my example. Noice :y:.

I did chuckle at the intimation of 'tyre wings', I was thinking croissant :P I reckon the sort of fine-grained feathery texture you've gone for there is a little at odds with the much bolder macro-styling/chunky carved look, and perhaps the addition a bit of a feathered 'bib' as modelled by that eagle-owl might look good. Something along these lines (but probably more subtle):

You pay attention to details, don't you ?

Well, I've flickered a little bit myself, too, and it doesn't look to be a "family" thing (like mammals having 4 legs) but more a "species" thing, with some flavour of owls using indeed 2+2 and others (as far as I can tell from pictures) using 3+1. I deliberately ommit a lot of owls from my investigation because in french, we have different names for "ear-wearing" owls (Hiboux) and ear-less owls (chouettes), with only the former conveying an intuitive image of wisdom and teacher-role.
Ha, I've just been drawing a bunch of owls myself fairly recently. Love 'em. The attribution of learnedness based on hairstyle is rather interesting, not to sidetrack too much but regarding toe configuration I remember reading it's a case of volition with owls in general rather than congenital arrangement. Found a footnote here.
So, I'll stick to my 3-toes-forward character. I won't really matter in a school where books learn to write and hard-lead pencils go on night-watch, indeed :P
Quite. ;D
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 07:36:30 pm by Facet »