AuthorTopic: [wip] Bilou's school : Pendats goes marchin' in [c+c]  (Read 102740 times)

Offline slym

• View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: [wip] Bilou in Deep ink pit

Reply #40 on: May 11, 2012, 02:52:20 pm
vs .

There are interesting things, indeed. I also doubled the exposition of the "spikest" frame, as I think there might lack some pendulum in my original ink swamp. Of course, a doubled frame with some details animation while keeping the same shape would work better.

My brain seems to do some resistance and tries to convince me that the spiky one is best because those spikes better transmit the idea that falling in the ink means sudden death.

Sorry to bring this back up, but I really believe the version that isn't as spiky. The Spiky one immediately makes me think of a really light liquid. Ink is heavier and the smoother version really promotes that idea. Plus, the sudden death concept doesn't necessarily require you to make like a pitfall into a massive rotating fan. Sudden death can also be achieved from the opposite effect. Like the sludgy ink. That's just my opinion though.

Also, those red book are kinda awkward. Usually a book is more than twice as long/wide as it is tall.

I've always wanted to do something like this, it's really cool to see you doing a larger-life tileset :)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: [wip] Bilou in school zone [c+c]

Reply #41 on: May 11, 2012, 05:18:31 pm
It seems that those are at least 2 different books, but it's kinda hard to separate them (if they should have different sizes, change the color/details of each book)

I they are the same, make a perspectivical projection to get the proportions right (slym pointed already out that they look awkward).
I choosed your first book, drew the ground view and constructed the other views - really simple to understand by just looking at the picture

"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 07:07:15 am
Sorry to bring this back up, but I really believe the version that isn't as spiky. The Spiky one immediately makes me think of a really light liquid. Ink is heavier and the smoother version really promotes that idea. Plus, the sudden death concept doesn't necessarily require you to make like a pitfall into a massive rotating fan. Sudden death can also be achieved from the opposite effect. Like the sludgy ink. That's just my opinion though.
That makes sense. Thanks for the convincing argument :)

Quote from: Cyangmou

It seems that those are at least 2 different books, but it's kinda hard to separate them

Yep, I have to admit that I made up this book stack so that they occupy the desired space on the picture. Obviously, it's not such a good idea.

(if they should have different sizes, change the color/details of each book)
Yeah, good point. I think I'll also have to come up with something with a more square-ish shape for certain platforms (or ban that from that level altogether). Your TOP/FRONT visualisation convey well what I'm trying to do and produce more convincing objects. Thanks for the tip.

Offline Crow

• Technicanimal
    • View Profile

Reply #43 on: May 16, 2012, 04:33:22 pm
Yeah, good point. I think I'll also have to come up with something with a more square-ish shape for certain platforms (or ban that from that level altogether). Your TOP/FRONT visualisation convey well what I'm trying to do and produce more convincing objects. Thanks for the tip.

Well, just go with that general idea, then, but also move the books out of the level/screen on the left side. That way, you can have them occupy the space you want them to but also look "right" at the same time.
Discord: Ennea#9999

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #44 on: May 17, 2012, 09:00:19 am
Well, just go with that general idea, then, but also move the books out of the level/screen on the left side. That way, you can have them occupy the space you want them to but also look "right" at the same time.

#true.

Any comment on the new background so far?

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: May 17, 2012, 05:32:13 pm
Having platforms (the books) that appear to recede in space does raise the question of exactly what plane the character is on; which edge of the book?

I really like the book fort architecture of the background :y:, but having the books unilaterally larger (and significantly so) than those of the foreground invites a sense of dislocation of scale. I think the previous, plainer backgrounds felt more appropriately intimate and 'zoomed in'. Personally I'd apply that (very nice) idea to the foreground platforms (the current foundation of woodblocks seem a bit uninspired and not particulary evocative of a classroom). BG books could look good as well but I'd keep them at the same scale or smaller.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:44:46 pm by Facet »

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #46 on: May 17, 2012, 06:40:06 pm
thanks for your comments, Facet.

Having platforms (the books) that appear to recede in space does raise the question of exactly what plane the character is on; which edge of the book?

The idea is to mix both interpretation in a way that will not trick the player: you can walk all over the book top, and the blue line can be jumped through. only the "front side" of the book is really solid (and thus cannot be walked or jumped through). This allows me to use stacks of books either as ladders, walls or more subtle hidden tunnels to secret rooms

I really like the book fort architecture of the background :y:, but having the books unilaterally larger (and significantly so) than those of the foreground invites a sense of dislocation of scale. I think the previous, plainer backgrounds felt more appropriately intimate and 'zoomed in'. Personally I'd apply that (very nice) idea to the foreground platforms (the current foundation of woodblocks seem uninspired and not particulary evocative of a classroom). BG books could look good as well but I'd keep them at the same scale or smaller.

That's noted, and meets comments I got from non-artist friends. "intimate" is the word. I do love that on the plain background, too, although I can't help thinking it's not ambitious enough. I suppose I just need to walk my way through it and find more ways to make this wooden BG interesting and sufficiently diverse.
And I'll definitely go for more type of books and less wooden blocks in the foreground ... just enough to lay out "shelves" on which the books stand (the current level is more the school's library than a giant classroom, btw).

Offline Sharm

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 04:23:38 pm
What about a view of the school room as if you're looking out from the bookshelf?

Offline PypeBros

• Pixel Padawan
    • PypeBros
    • View Profile
    • Bilou Homebrew's Blog.

Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 06:22:05 pm
What about a view of the school room as if you're looking out from the bookshelf?
I did a couple of tries in that direction, but it didn't worked the way I expected ...

Offline Facet

• View Profile

Reply #49 on: May 18, 2012, 08:50:28 pm
you can walk all over the book top, and the blue line can be jumped through

Ok, That's a nice idea, I'm a sucker for secret passages too :).

Woodblocks to shelves makes a lot of sense. For more interest with a close-up bg I like Hugh's previous blackboard suggestion; it's pretty flexible (you could use primitive chalk drawings as the scenery or little in-jokes or whatever)  and I reckon you could get a nice chalk effect with a little tlc. I updated the example in my previous post.

Going for a full classroom in perspective might end up quite busy but if that's the way you want to go why not post up your attempts?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:42:59 pm by Facet »