AuthorTopic: Ah Chu  (Read 3829 times)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Ah Chu

on: September 23, 2011, 04:47:13 am
  current:

mainly looking for anatomy crits at this point, pixels are obviously still very rough. also, that's air flowing through the figure, not water, despite what it looks like right now :crazy:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:33:21 am by Cure »

Offline Mathias

• Goodbye.
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/9542.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Ah Chu

Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 12:52:14 pm
Hah alright, still creating more ah chu inspired things, that's cool. First thing that hits me is the realistic presentation style. Yes, you have a basic nondescript abstracty bg, but the rest attempts to depict normal reality with a conventional interpretation (as opposed to, say, cubism's style or something) yet is portraying a concept with at least some depth to it. In other words, I'm bored. And the presentation doesn't match the content.
Ah - life, Chu - release/death.
My solution? Mainly colors. Getting rid of the blue bg would alleviate the water/air breathing/exhaling misinterpretation. I think this would greatly benefit from going for a dramatic double light source setup - shine life-like light in the left from the top left, then shine some deathly weaker lit shade of light onto the dying "twin" coming from the lower right.

Anat. You've done really well. I'd try to stress inhalation even more for the left twin - open his mouth more, suck in abdominal more, etc. I like how the dying side's muscles are relaxed.
Hmm, that shared ear bugs me.
The two faces don't look like the same face. To communicate life, then death, I think you ought to draw the same face, as if a change is happening, otherwise it might look like two different people.

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 02:44:52 pm
well ah/chu isn't life/death (I guess that'd be a macro application of the concept though), so I'm not too worried about conveying the themes of life and death specifically.
Crit still stands though, I did think of adding some warm hues for the fiery passion/tension of Ah, then some cooler tones for the calmer and more subdued Chu side. this is just inbreath/outbreath though, no one is dying here. you're prolly right about stressing the 'breathing' poses, particularly in the faces. I was also iffy on the ear, I'll see what I can do about it.

thanks for the feedback.

edit: general anatomy fixes, slight color shift towards purple.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 03:55:02 pm by Cure »

Offline ABC

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 23, 2011, 04:28:58 pm
He's breathing in reverse.  ???

When you inhale, your whole torso and belly grows because of the fresh air.
When exhale, you empty your torso and belly so it should get sucked in and shrink.

And if you want to make it metaphorical, it's best to shrink the right guy's belly as if his life/soul was gone and he was empty.

Offline Lorath

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 07:24:58 pm
Normally this would be right but if you breath in really fast like in a very stressy moment, you only
"breath" with your upper torso and same just the other way with the breath out.

The left guys mimic seems he is in a moment to breath in very fast and not so deep.

So, if you wanted to tell us his situation is not the "normal" way, in my opion, your right.
But maybe you try increasing his lower torso and see what happens (left guy).

And also try to add some air coming from the nose from the right guy. Right now he's breathing through a
closed mouth. Blowing like lips would help a bit.

Got no time to edit right now but ill try if im back ;)

But i like your composition very much! Great picture

So long,
Lorath
A bite from a horse can definitely kill a hornet.

Offline Cure

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 03:43:32 am
the abdominal region doesn't really play a role in breathing, afaik. the thoracic cavity expands as the diaphragm contracts and the lungs fill with air. the chest flattens when the diaphragm relaxes and the lungs deflate. if the abdominal region looks like it's moving, it's probably just relational to the expansion and contraction of the chest. I've exaggerated the movement of this region just for a more dramatic pose, belly out=relaxed, flatter stomach=abdominals are working. But the belly doesn’t fill with air…

air coming from the nose is a good idea.

update:
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 07:33:39 am by Cure »

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 03:57:37 am
Wait, that's air?
I thought It was supposed to be some kind of human centipede inspired human fountain xD

edit: Oh wait, I see you mentioned this in your first post.

Offline Charlieton

• awkward dancer
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 01:10:28 pm
Wait, that's air?
I thought It was supposed to be some kind of human centipede inspired human fountain xD

edit: Oh wait, I see you mentioned this in your first post.

That's an interesting point, though. Should one have to mention that it's air, in order for another to see it? Then, maybe there's a better way to illustrate it, so there's no misunderstanding? I do not know any solution to this, though.

Though after Seisekis reply, it does to me appear to resemble the movement of water, rather than that of air. Before that, I'd only made the connection to air, but that's maybe due to reading the first post before.
Det skulle vara lätt för mig att säga att jag inte gillar dig, men det gör jag; tror jag