AuthorTopic: Reworking an old sprite  (Read 2583 times)

Offline newsomjk

• View Profile

Reworking an old sprite

on: September 21, 2011, 04:51:04 pm
So, now that I decided not to go with a generic looking pose, I went with a more lively one and I don't know if it looks quite like I want. So any advice or quick edits would be appreciated.

It's supposed to look like he's kinda leaned forward holding a 2 handed weapon

v2

http://i53.tinypic.com/14kheuh <- there's an image example if you don't get what I'm going for
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:15:06 pm by newsomjk »

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Re: Reworking an old sprite

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 06:35:30 pm
Looks like he's skating or something, his left leg should be more open. : D
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline newsomjk

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 10:15:52 pm

Tried touching up a few more places, and moving the legs around a bit to look less awkward. Worked on an idle animation. In turn bulked the legs up a bit more as well

Ignore the axe, I just grabbed a quick one from an image online to make the example look better.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 11:31:30 pm
Whoa! That axe is bigger than he is. I doubt he'd be able to hold it, even if you dared to stretch the laws of physics to the point of abstraction where they almost don't apply. To give it more weight, try lowering (possibly raising?) the arm supporting the most weight, closer to the axe's head. (Note in the reference you posted, the arms aren't at an even heights.) And I realize it's only an example, but the axe facing us does destroy the illusion of depth.

Light-source is inconsistent. Looks like it comes from the upper left on his head, legs and forearms, yet the shades on his arm appear nonexistent (or coming from a different direction, at least) strangely enough. Pick a light-source out--for example, overhead--and fix this.

The palette is somewhat bland as well. The sprite itself is basically made out of browns; it's pretty much fair to say it wouldn't look very different in sepia tones. Throw some variety in there! Changing the color of the loincloth would be a good place to start, to blue or green, for example. Adjusting the values on the skin could also help (make light colors lighter, dark colors darker). Right now they're pretty lacking. Hue-shifting is something you might want to implement, or at least read up on, as well.

Also, it seems this sprite is seen from slightly overhead, much like battle sprites taken from an RPG (that it?). If so, his head needs to be adjusted. It's as if he's looking at us and not whatever he's facing.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 05:37:30 pm by pistachio »

Offline newsomjk

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 11:45:30 pm
Ok, I'll work on getting a more unanimous light source. And yeah I probably wouldn't have weapons quite that big.

I already tried moving the head down after someone mentioned something about the perspective, i don't know how much more I can move it.

I'll look into the coloring too. Thanks for the tips.

So other than the arms does the body seem to look alright?
I know the legs are significantly scrawnier, it's the look I'm going for, a stylistic choice if you will.