AuthorTopic: Apple help  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Uriah

• View Profile

Apple help

on: September 20, 2011, 06:46:17 pm
I haven't done any pixel art in forever, so I'm pretty dumbfounded.

I rough sketched this up in a few mins:

Then turned it into this:

The main thing I want help with is coming up with good colors and an apple-like texture. Right now it looks really grainy and unrealistic. :[

Whenever I try doing shading resembling something smooth it looks like a flat surface still

Offline Phlakes

• View Profile

Re: Apple help

Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:12:57 pm
You were on the right track, but apples are smooth. Just shade it like you would any spherical object-

Using your colors and pattern.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:16:25 pm
You were on the right track, but apples are smooth. Just shade it like you would any spherical object-

Using your colors and pattern.

Actually quite a lot of red apples have yellow spots and I think that's what Uriah is trying to replicate.
But it's a bit extreme.

« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 10:18:16 pm by Seiseki »

Offline Sooba

• View Profile
    • PJ Account

Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 09:58:22 pm
It may not be worth adding the dotting detail to the apple because you're working on such a small scale. A single pixel is large on the small image and will probably just read as noise. You could attempt it by making them very subtle, meaning reducing the contrast of the spots.

It looks more like an orange than an apple right now-mostly because of the shape. Look at that reference Seiseki posted; you can see how the apple's widest point is just above the center and it is most narrow at the bottom. The base of your apple doesn't exist. It's not just a circle like you've depicted.

As for the texture, your first image was the closest to a smooth look, but the colors weren't blending very well. Try a similar style of shading like you did in the first with the colors of your most recent edit. If you want it to look less like an orange, maybe add more red to your colors. They're currently orange/ red-orange, but based on the reference it's actually closer to a red-magenta than orange.