AuthorTopic: [WIP] Robot Janitor Game!  (Read 8643 times)

Offline rikfuzz

• View Profile
    • twitter @hot_pengu

Re: [WIP] Robot Janitor Game!

Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 10:55:39 am

Looking GREAT!  Just a couple of tweaks on this particular animation:

1) Added some kind of smear to the largest movement.  Can be done in a bunch of different styles, but it just seemed slightly too large a distance to just snap. 

2) Brought his anticipation move out a couple of pixels so there was a bit more leaning away before the strike. 

Offline JonasO

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 12:26:30 pm
Walk cycle for a janitor robot (hence the hat!)

As it is, it looks a bit.. chunky/pixelly. I can't really AA because there will be different colored backgrounds. C&C would be appreciated  :)

I have few comments on the art, it is quite good. He seemed a little bit to wiggly for me (like he'd be made from jelly), but you have hanged that. The cap still seems to move too much (both the cap itself which seems to grow and shrink and the thing above his eyes which is really wiggly).

However, I'm wondering why he's a janitor and why that thing chases him. Judging from the mockup he wasn't a very good janitor.
Mario the plumber at least had those pipes that he could go through, but in general there was no reason for mario to be a plumber (except for his clothing which was a consequence of the pixel & color restrictions).
You do not have such restrictions so you better have a good reason for him to be a janitor, for a janitor to be chased by such a terrific monster, and for a janitor to run through such shabby corridors.

Offline Lachie Dazdarian

• View Profile
    • The Maker Of Stuff

Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 11:50:51 pm
I like the style you adopted for this game. Iji and Knytt sorta. Love both of those games.

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 12:23:43 am
suggestion: maybe go a bit more Flashback on the backgrounds?

Offline Grimsane

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 01:20:41 am
agree with lackey, especially since you have to some degree alluded to that with the object he is hiding behind. and the floor doesn't work to well at the moment, Lackey has offered a solution for that too in his edit even if you keep the strict side on perspective.

really like the character design, especially that violent TV bot  :D

and that walk animation while having alot of character has a few things his hip wobble and a few moments of leg length change, also the problem of differentiating foreground and background limbs only the feet/legs really,
here's a suggestion

just using colour tones you're already using to separate them, of course I can see he has what seems like pronged feet in the idle, so doing a similar effect that you have with the hands would work. also attempted to see what was making it read strange, and it was the leg width you have thin background leg in some frames and thick in others so that messes with perception a bit too hope this game project keeps powering ahead it looks really cool  ;D

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: June 28, 2012, 11:57:19 pm
Thank you everyone for the help! Update:

I realize that the floor is quite 'clean' right now, but I will add more destroyed tiles once I have the base tile set.