AuthorTopic: [WIP] Robot Janitor Game!  (Read 8639 times)

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

[WIP] Robot Janitor Game!

on: September 19, 2011, 05:52:18 am
Walk cycle for a janitor robot (hence the hat!)

As it is, it looks a bit.. chunky/pixelly. I can't really AA because there will be different colored backgrounds. C&C would be appreciated  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 02:29:50 am by hopoo »

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Robot walk cycle

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 06:33:35 am
pretty good in my opinion, maybe you should lighten up his right leg a bit and darken the left a bit : )
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 06:33:49 am
The torso should turn more, what with the apparently "strong" movement of the legs/arms. (Whoops, one-liner.)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:09:45 am by pistachio »

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 09:48:40 am
Alright, I tried to rotate his torso, but the method that I drew him in previously (individually drawing legs and arms then frankensteining it to a floating body) made it pretty much impossible, so I restarted from scratch quick so I could draw each frame whole. It resulted in much more natural look (the fact that hes a robot can be made evident through other animations because this one seems awfully organic)

Excuse the high animation speed, I'm not quite sure how to fix that in the browser.

Offline Viscis

• View Profile
    • Shockware

Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 07:47:35 pm
Add duplicate frames to slow down the speed. I.e. include two of each frame.
Looking for a Game to Develop. I'm a java programmer who cannot draw.

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 09:56:09 am
I would not recommend what Viscis suggests. Sure, it would end up halving the speed, but it would also double your file size when all you should have to do is change the timing in your frame delay in whatever program you are using.  What did you use to create the animated GIF?

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 06:57:43 am
I draw the frames in paint, preview it in gamemaker, then export it and import/export again in photoshop (because gamemaker gifs dont loop)

:D

Offline hopoo

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Robot Janitor Game!

Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 02:50:30 am
! Cleaned up the walk cycle a bit, along with making the rest of the animations. I would post them but its a huge POS to get them from spritesheet to gif..

This is the main antagonist of the game. He chases you and is invincible (think of metroid fusion)

In-game:
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 03:51:52 am by hopoo »

Offline Lackey

• remember to drink cure potions
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 04:53:13 am
That TV robot monster looks awesome and from the mock-up I already want to try playing this. The screen flipping out when he attacks looks great.

The antagonist's hip wobble seems a bit crazy relative to the amount of motion in his legs, though.

Offline Grundy

• Sup!
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter

Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 10:01:09 am
Ok, I love these robot guy´s appearance.
Do you have a weblog somewhere? i want to follow this superdope game more closely.

I think the design in the first post was better than the latter ones because of the added orange on his lower arms seems to distract from the nice focus you had on its helmet. It also breaks its tallness. But maybe this was all intentional. If it has some kind of relevant Sheppard/predator console in its arm then consider my comment irrelevant. But as a whole i like the first one best.

The bad guy. I like the idea of his powersmash. Lifting its arms way up and smacking down.
Clever how the red flashing signals an upcoming threat (damage) to the player.
I thought he was frustratingly holding his head at first. Probably because of the way his lower arms disappear behind him.

I suspect i'm probably nitpicking. And probably do so against some holy animation laws but:
In the antagonist's idle, Why does it appear as if it is processing oxygen (breathing?). It´s a robot, right?
Could be that he uses some vapor as fuel and i know the adding human traits to objects gives it more sympathy but when i think of a robot, Especially an evil one, I consider being inanimate as more appropriate.

If you think that´s nonsense and you like to keep the breathing then consider giving it a slower breathing pace. It looks like it´s aroused-scared because his chest is pumping up tempo. But from what i see he´s the one causing the trouble, the bad guy. Not the one being afraid.  There are probably some alternatives to make stuff moving on his idle. Like a distorted flicker pattern on his screen.

I think the Wally movie tackles the problem of vivifying things with inanimate nature  very well.

But please correct me if i am making no sense at all.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:12:36 am by Grundy »