AuthorTopic: Experimenting..  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Calx

• View Profile

Experimenting..

on: September 17, 2011, 06:20:24 pm
I'm experimenting with the pallet on this cave here..
Im starting to think the walk able rocks are too saturated. although I am trying to go for
a very saturated almost cartoony style. 
Any ideas?  :)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Re: Experimenting..

Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:01:09 pm
looks great, color choices on the rocks confuse me though. yellow, turquoise, and purple are pretty divergent colors, so I dunno what the true color of the rocks is. The purple is the starkest color choice, a bit too warm perhaps?

Offline Calx

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 10:39:44 pm
looks great, color choices on the rocks confuse me though. yellow, turquoise, and purple are pretty divergent colors, so I dunno what the true color of the rocks is. The purple is the starkest color choice, a bit too warm perhaps?

Is this any better?

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 09:18:00 am
Actually, you can get away with using a diverse set of colors in pixel art. Many artists here would even encourage it, myself included.

If the wooden planks aren't walkable they should have the same contrast and saturation as the background.

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 12:46:42 pm
I like it. Reminds me a bit of the cave tiles from Frogatto, or--wait for it--Cave Story. Good job with the direction you've chosen.

Only small problem I have is that the background rocks farthest from us (?) don't seem to fit in, almost like they're from a different cave entirely. Mainly because of the rock structure, but also because of their colors. And they might stand out too much, as the colors they used are almost brighter than the rocks one layer closer to the foreground. This could make things confusing and incoherent, bad, of course, when you're talking in-game levels, or even just a mockup. They might need reworking.

EDIT: Highlights on the foreground rocks don't suggest a clear, unified lightsource. They're pretty much all over the place.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 04:49:58 pm by pistachio »

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 01:23:40 pm
My suggestion would be to add some random tiles here and there in the black areas, like a tile with bones or something, a tile with some visible rock..
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline ErekT

• fistful of pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 03:47:00 pm
Good work, like blumunkee I'm all for wacky hues :y: The walkable rocks look very slanted to me, maybe flatten them some?

Offline Geti

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:35:51 am
The turquoise could be moss anyway. Consider throwing a colour in there and adding some lighter patches to it if you want to go that way.

Offline Calx

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 04:36:58 am
Actually, you can get away with using a diverse set of colors in pixel art. Many artists here would even encourage it, myself included.

If the wooden planks aren't walkable they should have the same contrast and saturation as the background.
Well, ok I'm gonna keep experimenting with this idea.. Brighter wood is walkable, darker is not.

I like it. Reminds me a bit of the cave tiles from Frogatto, or--wait for it--Cave Story. Good job with the direction you've chosen.

Only small problem I have is that the background rocks farthest from us (?) don't seem to fit in, almost like they're from a different cave entirely. Mainly because of the rock structure, but also because of their colors. And they might stand out too much, as the colors they used are almost brighter than the rocks one layer closer to the foreground. This could make things confusing and incoherent, bad, of course, when you're talking in-game levels, or even just a mockup. They might need reworking.

EDIT: Highlights on the foreground rocks don't suggest a clear, unified lightsource. They're pretty much all over the place.

Fixed contrast on rock background 1, Although I didn't touch the other one. ACK! How did I forget to adjust the lighting... I was lazy and mirrored it, I guess I learned my lesson here. :P

My suggestion would be to add some random tiles here and there in the black areas, like a tile with bones or something, a tile with some visible rock..

I'm not quite sure about that, It's already busy enough IMO..

Good work, like blumunkee I'm all for wacky hues :y: The walkable rocks look very slanted to me, maybe flatten them some?
I think they are already flat enough.

The turquoise could be moss anyway. Consider throwing a colour in there and adding some lighter patches to it if you want to go that way.

I think I'm kinda going for a some what limestone like color now, maybe I'll make some mossy tiles later, its a good idea..

Thank you all for your help. I think Ill continue this color experiment and I might post other images of it here.. By the way, Is the contrast adequate? Because, my monitor is.. well.. cheap.  :-[

Offline Redshrike

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 11:10:21 pm
I for one really like those background rocks.  They remind me very much of giant clusters of pyrite crystals, which gives it a rather other-worldly feel.