AuthorTopic: Sephiroth Advent Children  (Read 16626 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Sephiroth Advent Children

Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 01:16:24 am
pixel art usually has too small items to have full outlines on without pushing the effect of some cartoony too-obvious outlining. So yes, we have line breaks to suggest outlines as needed. This falls under subpixel theory, really. These broken outlines should be lightsource dependent and all that, I see absolutely no reason for the whole 'selout' thing to exist as a self-contained technique. When it was first discussed pixelation was a different place. Capcom does a lot of selout and it goes with their high-saturation-all-over art, but it shouldn't be a needed skill of any pixel artist, not everybody's trying (or should be trying) to emulate Capcom, even if they do game art.

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 05:39:29 am
most of the sprite work i've done has been really boring low res type stuff for GBA and cell phones. i usually do these types of things for my portfolio just to impress the people i need to impress. there are a lot of capcom fanboys out there that have the ability to hire. this stuff just plays right into their hand. and if you can demonstrate you can actually follow a specific style, all the better. i don't think there's any shame in trying to recreate one design into another style.

but man you guys are really harsh o_o;;; i had no idea there was this underground hatred for FF7 art.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 08:02:04 am
Yes, you are correct on the hiring thing. Knowing how to draw sepiroth cool like that will get you jobs, I'm pretty certain. The rant was off-topic, sorry if I pushed this thread in a wrong direction.

About underground FF hatred, I dunno if it exists, I know I'm extremely tired of this "homogenic deviant-art quasi-anime cool" thing going on on the internet in the last 5 years or so. Big-gun-sword wielding androgynous protagonists, perpetually 16 yrs old, every stance, every move a fashion statement. I just can't stomach all this, I wish for more idiosyncratic art direction in games.

But that may just be me.

Offline Radioactivity

• rawr
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 12:35:12 am
it's not just you helm, but I disagree with the whole FF7 art style hating thing. I like the FF7 character designs.
lol, just for you helm
@The Cold Mage: it may seem harsh at first, but without harsh technical critcism then we wouldn't grow as pixel artists, as this is what pixelati..pixelopolis is all about.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:41:24 am by Radioactivity »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 01:02:25 am
Big-gun-sword wielding androgynous protagonists, perpetually 16 yrs old, every stance, every move a fashion statement.

whats are you talking about? the overdramatized stress from the sexual tension between me and my cute but underage half-demon female supporting character is really bringing back the amnesia that i suffered from after my father mysteriously dissappeared, only to turn up again as the main villains assistant.  Im going to wear my hair in front of my face and spew elipses until the player gets tired of playing the game and watches untranslated escaflone until square enix makes a low-budget sequel to my already trite story.  you can unlock me in super smash brothers if you collect all 87 of the magic stones.

that being said, i love rpg's, even if most of them are the same sucky game.  I tihnk somebody should make a new game with the main character as a ruggedly handsome leather-wearing badass from the streets of Majorcity, USA who is good at heart but has gotten on the wrong side of the law.  THATS one we havent seen before.  ANd actually i tihnk that FF7 gets credit for being from 1997 and having most characters at or above drinking age[/color]

ok, time for something on topic.  Cold, i dont think the criticisms offered were intended to malicious or even harsh, simply honest.  if you are build a portfolio, then this is not the way to go, because there isnt a scrap of originality in it.  People dont want to see someone who can do what everyone else has already done pretty much as well as the original, they want to see YOU.  a portfolio is a compilation of the artist's self and should reflect that, at least in my mind.  you may get jobs for being able to do final fantasy, but do you really want to be recognized as the guy that did "that somewhat better than average sephiroth?"
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 02:06:17 am
the technical critiques are well taken,  stuff as it pertains to how i rendered the details, usage of color, etc. but if I'm trying to make the sprite look like something, it shouldn't be my fault that i made it look like that thing just because you don't like what that thing is. i don't need to be told what should be in my portfolio because as of now I have 5 paid independent projects going on based on the merits of my work and experience exemplified by what is in my portfolio. i think its arbitrary to criticize my rendition of sephiroth simply because it is sephiroth or some other FF7 design. a lot of people happen to like FF7 and the art that came from that game. a lot of those people actually happen to be individuals I've been hired by. i really doubt anyone who's open minded enough to look for talent to work on a game is going to limit themselves to totally original designs and totally unique styles. quite the contrary, they often use other games or styles as points of reference.

this sprite actually originated out of a challenged i put forth on another forum. the whole concept being to take a common design everybody knows (Sephiroth) and just see what people do with it. as it turns out nobody's entry will be judged on how much they love or hate sephiroth, but on how well they capture the given design, and how well it looks based on the technical art stuff; kind of like the way all of my employers or clients have expected me to take designs they've come up with or trademarked designs like Dragon Ball GT characters and do the pixel art.

so critique the work on the artistic elements, not the subject i chose... to do otherwise would be ridiculous.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 10:27:55 am
The subject is an artistic element, and i hope that you dont consider the number of jobs you have as a measure of talent, anyone can get as many jobs as they have hours to work on them and they know how to sign their name on the bottom line. 
Also, you should know that the criticisms were not based on the fact that FF7 art is pretty awful, but that the points you chose to emulate were ones that really should be left out for the sake of making something good.  99% of being a game artist is making changes to the client's design while working towards what they desire.  the point here that people i believe were trying to make is that you can either do the same thing thats been done a billion times before, or if you must do the character at least make the character look as good as you can, and that involves taking criticisms on things like proportions.  As far as not judging your work because it has the same flaws as the thing you are emulating, that is rediculous, a flaw is a flaw.  You may write it off as a style point, and you may choose not to act on a single critique, nobody can force you.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 12:52:14 pm
lol, whatever, i still think you're being silly  :P

Offline Xion

• View Profile
    • FourbitFriday

Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 07:55:11 pm
Actually, it's a very valid point. You can't dismiss critiques on flaws just because they were parts of the original design.

Offline Dixet

• Strange, yet cool
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 07:56:31 pm
Hair looks solid and imposiible at the pose.