AuthorTopic: Anti aliasing issue  (Read 4629 times)

Offline Lazy Brain Games

• View Profile
    • Lazy Brain Games

Anti aliasing issue

on: September 17, 2011, 07:20:54 am
Hi all! I test driving a new computer, all seems well except I can't seem to turn off the anti aliasing when using Photoshop or running Game Maker games :P I looked all over the internets, but I couldn't find anything addressing this issue. I'm posting here partly out of desperation, but also because I figure some pixel artists may have run into this type of problem themselves. I'm not the most tech savvy guy, but I'm usually able to navigate settings type problems, but this time around, I got nothin' :P The specs are...

Model: Dell Inspiron 620
Graphics card: Intel HD graphics family
Running Windows 7

I suspect its the graphics card, I don't know what the heck a "Intel HD graphics family" card is :P

Just to better explain my issue, here's some examples of my issue...

Up close, everything's fine

But once I back up the view...

How the games used to look...

How they look now...

Its interesting that while one monitor is new, I have a dual monitor set up and I'm using one monitor that previously didn't have this problem with the old computer. This older monitor now has this same issue. Is it the graphics card? Is it windows 7? Anyway, I haven't a clue, but I'm hoping some pixel artists might be sympathetic to my problem :P There really isn't any support for this kind of question (at least where I've looked in the past few hours). All the posts and tutorials I've seen are talking about AA for text, or how to navigate to the setting within a specific game :P

Thanks to all who reply!

-JB

[EDIT]
Stuff I've tried:
1) Turned off second monitor
2) Turned off Aero and all hardware acceleration
3) Tried different resolutions
4) Shouted at computer lol ;)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:12:14 am by Lazy Brain Games »

Offline Argyle

• Futuristic beep boop.
    • argylebox
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/13899.htm
    • valsaurus
    • View Profile
    • ArgyleBox | Designs by Valouria Saurus (VERY OUTDATED)

Re: Anti aliasing issue

Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 04:07:00 am
It's just in photoshop, or just in full screen games, or both or what?  if you could screenshot in photoshop that would help, as it looks strange at zooms that aren't even, like if you are zoomed at 88% or 535% etc

Offline blumunkee

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 12:51:03 am
I've used Intel graphics... forever and I've never had this problem.

Sorry I know that doesn't help at all. I'd recommend a clean install but I don't know if that would help either.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 01:00:37 am
The problems with Game Maker are because of how shit GM is. It just has problems with some graphicscards and scales blurry on them.
The shots you provided for your Photoshop stuff does not help as we do not know what % of scale they are at. They both look to be uneven numbers.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline McSkippy

• Bro
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:05:46 am
The problems with Game Maker are because of how shit GM is. It just has problems with some graphicscards and scales blurry on them.
The shots you provided for your Photoshop stuff does not help as we do not know what % of scale they are at. They both look to be uneven numbers.
I think there was this code snippet(s) by Chevy Ray at the TiGSource fourms that can solve that problem. I'm pretty sure it was called "Seamless Scrolling" or something.

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 03:31:39 am
It only kinda can. If you use that you can not use surfaces for other stuff in your game and whatnot. GM is just badly written when it comes to this.
But I heard the next version will perhaps be fixing this. I am not holding my breath.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.