AuthorTopic: Work In Progress Characters [C&C]  (Read 3512 times)

Offline McSkippy

• Bro
    • View Profile

Work In Progress Characters [C&C]

on: September 16, 2011, 02:52:18 am
Update

I've been doodling these characters on paper for a long time, and now decided to pixel them. "Afro Kid" is finished while "Anime Spike hair kid with a sword" is still WIP. I've also been struggling with color choices from the past and I would really like some critique on this.

And holy crap, did servers crash on Pixelation or something?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 02:42:59 am by McSkippy »

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Re: Work In Progress Characters [C&C]

Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 06:47:29 am
Yeah we had to change host : °

I'll comment just the afro guy, 'cause the other one is too WIP:

add a lighter brown for the hair and try to make 'em look more three-dimensional, they look flat. Proportions are off (short legs, short arms, REALLY long torso) and the face is big enough to offer more details than just a little mouth and eyes, add a nose and try adding a darker shadow around the eyes, maybe with some hue-shifting. An edit is coming

EDIT: You should improve his hands too : )
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 07:03:26 am by RedKnight91 »
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 02:26:07 pm
You have a few colors that are used pretty sparingly, for example, the pitch black on the hands and mouth. You could get rid of them and swap them for some buffering colors. In other words, an additional shade to blend two colors together.

Remember to work on your pixel clusters. They're making the sprite look pretty rough, but I assume this sprite is still heavily WIP.

Watch the proportions of your character. The torso is too long, and likewise, the legs are too short. There's also the neck, but that's more the fault of bad pixel clusters than proportions.

Also, AAHH SELOUT

Edit:

I think Red's edit might have overdone his own point about detail and dimension, destroying the simplified, cel-shaded look you had going there in the process, but it's still a good point and something you might want to listen to.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 04:41:16 am by pistachio »

Offline McSkippy

• Bro
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 02:41:53 am

Changed some colors with fro kid and experimented with hue shifting. I was pretty proud of the result.:D
Though, the Z-Saber sword(Megaman Zero inspired) on scarf kid has been bothering me, trying to not use as much colors, since there's 10 already. And the shading on the left sleeve, yeah... I think I was trying to mimic pistachio's shading on his edit.

Offline McSkippy

• Bro
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 01:29:42 am
1. 2.
I've done some idle animations. I wanted to give out the "let's kick some ass" character into him.
The second one looks like he's teabagging some dude...

Offline McSkippy

• Bro
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 01:17:55 am
Did minor edits on blondie and made a new enemy, based on a typical gangbanger