AuthorTopic: Zero Suit Samus  (Read 16483 times)

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Zero Suit Samus

on: May 22, 2006, 02:16:22 am

*harsh celout (due to pixeltendos very dark forum bg =P)

This was for a 'nintendo' duel at pixeltendo, I'm trying to win by sheer sex appeal XD. There is a rediculous color count, I just didn't have time to go back and tweak that. Several hair tones could be blended together with the face tones, and some of the darker blue could combine with some of the purples probably.

C&C if you wish.

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Re: Zero Suit Samus

Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 02:45:26 am
mhmmm... sex apeal. lol

it looks like her right foot bends inward, when i think it should bend outwards, unless shes like in the movement of turning around to face the viewer.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 03:12:12 am
Yeah, she is kinda turning, but there is probably a problem with the feet, they're tricky to get right 0.o

Btw thanks for the vote ^.^

Offline Ryumaru

• to be animated soonly
    • ChrisPariano
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 03:37:51 am
i have no idea why, but now that i look like it, with her hair in that motion, it looks like the intro of a james bond movie where he turns and shoots at the screen. :)

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 06:19:19 am
the positioning of the right arm bothers me, it looks like you couldn't come up with a pose and so just drew it behind her body.  i could be wrong, but it doesn't look that natural and seems like kind of a cop-out.

aside from that, rawr :D  zero suit is the best suit in my opinion...

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 10:17:47 am
my only concern at this point is that the back hair hair is going in the wrong direction for her turn (though the bangs are correct), but this can be dismissed as there being wind

There is a rediculous color count, I just didn't have time to go back and tweak that.
im not sure i understand how you got yourself into that bind, typically colors are gained in refinement, not lost.  if you dont need a color, why add it?  the best way to work to conserve colors is to do each segment with as many of the already existing colors as you can use, and then if you cannot get the proper color from mixing those, add another color, and try to work that new color into the rest of the sprite as well.  that at least is how i work and i like to think that im pretty good in terms of conservation, though sometimes i err on the side of too few colors (especially in shadows)
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 10:37:33 am

mainly anatomy stuff, some different lighting ideas, biggest thing in my opinion is the arm you're underusing (good for balance.) minor neck shadow edit, eye edit, back and fore leg replacement, a good idea is the pelvis bone sharp highlight edge.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 01:59:06 pm
Seems I got some extra time so I'm going back over and fixing the stuff mentioned here. Initially I left her right arm relaxed because I thought it gave a gentler look to the piece, but people keep bringing up that it looks cheap, so its time to change it ^^U.

@AdamAtomic: =\ Wasn't really sure what to do with that arm, I thought about putting it out more early one, but it seemed to tense/rigid. So I just had it lay there...lifeless and boring >_<

@Adrias: Yeah the hair is blowing that way from wind, not the turn, I'm not exactly sure how to improve it. Perhaps make it turn away from the viewer abit? As for the coloring, I started the piece as a pure gray scale image, as an experiment. I knew I'd need a minimum 8 tones, but I wanted the shines to be smoother, so I added 10 instead. I pixeled the entire image in grayscale, then started to go over it with color (graphics gale has a color replace tool to speed that up). I did it that way since I have a hard time determining exactly how many colors I will need to keep things as smooth as possible. I have a hard time figuring out how to balance high color counts. Thats one reason why I gave up that huge portrait I was working on awhile back. This gray scale thing is a bit easier for me as it helps me figure out where all the pixels need to be before I apply the color.

@Helm: Hmm you got some points there, her right shoulder should come down... legs closer together, I'll see what I can do. Thanks for brining those points up.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 06:28:26 pm
@Adrias: Yeah the hair is blowing that way from wind, not the turn, I'm not exactly sure how to improve it. Perhaps make it turn away from the viewer abit? As for the coloring, I started the piece as a pure gray scale image, as an experiment. I knew I'd need a minimum 8 tones, but I wanted the shines to be smoother, so I added 10 instead. I pixeled the entire image in grayscale, then started to go over it with color (graphics gale has a color replace tool to speed that up). I did it that way since I have a hard time determining exactly how many colors I will need to keep things as smooth as possible. I have a hard time figuring out how to balance high color counts. Thats one reason why I gave up that huge portrait I was working on awhile back. This gray scale thing is a bit easier for me as it helps me figure out where all the pixels need to be before I apply the color.

IF there is wind, then the hair is a non-issue.  just as long as its supposed to be like that :P

i think the easiest way to find out how many colors youll need to make something smooth is just to work with very few colors and then add until it looks good. this way ive found you seldom reach more than 14.  personally i think the grayscale method is great for making sure a piece is well-rendered, but breeds the most horrendous color practices.  41 colors for this is obscene IMO, you could do it in 16 without real sacrifice.  the most important things is to have the same colors in different ramps; this both conserves colors and unifies the piece.  if every ramp consists of completely unique colors, they almost never mesh well, and this piece in particular is really desperate for unification.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 08:39:56 pm
I thought the pose was a bit awkward looking, but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. When I tried to act it out in front of a mirror, though, I realized that your sprite is very contorted. There's no way the chest can be turned towards the viewer like that when the hips are turned away.

Here's an edit of the pose. I used Helm's arm edit, because I'm lazy like that.  :-*

Sorry if I messed up the shading and sellout a bit in the process, just ignore that.  ;D

Offline Nitram

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 08:45:29 pm
I think her right breast comes out to much.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 11:48:47 pm
O.o I really like Wayuki's edit...looks more natural. I think I really need to be study posing more u_u. Seems there's quite a bit of work left to do on her. Thanks everybody for the comments and edits. I've been working on her today but I don't think she's quite ready to be shown. All these comments have been really useful to me... seriously.

Offline vedsten

• boo
    • View Profile

Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 12:09:30 am
Great shit, just started playing Metroid a coupple of days ago to see what all the fuzz was about (i know, i oughta be crusified or something), now i know  :)

Im worthless when it comes to anatomy, so I won't try commenting on that, besides, the only thing bugging me is the black you've used for the right eye/ gun. Tone it down a little, it pops out a tad too much right now.

I love the colors!

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 12:51:35 am
Wayuki : excellent edit

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 01:08:21 am
Why does she have a gun?

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 01:26:20 am
nerd time!  hmm and maybe SPOILER TIME too:

"zero suit samus" is from the GBA game "metroid: zero mission" - after completing the portion of the game that is basically a dressed-up, fancified version of the original Metroid game, you unlock an entirely new area - the space pirate mother ship, near a huge chozo temple.  You play the beginning of this area without your suit or even a weapon, though you acquire a very weak pistol shorly afterward.  I think anyways, it's been a while!

Offline David

• View Profile
    • I Am Not Original

Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 01:28:52 am
That explains it.

Offline mixxedstuff

• View Profile

Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 06:55:07 am
I personally prefer the stance with the hand behind the body- it seems more natural looking. It seems that if the arm should be coming off to the side like that, the shoulder should be slightly more pronounced.

However, this is more true when seeing it how I was seeing it until just recently. I had not realized that the dark spot near her head was a gun ponted towards the screen. At first, I interpreted it as her elbow, with her hand up against her neck. Something like this, just from a different angle.

Just a rough sketch, hopefully it gets the idea across.

Now to get to the rest-
To avoid confusion, let's designate arm out as  [A], and arm in as . All are regarding Wayuki's edit.

On , it could use some improvement on the shading, centering near her upper thigh. [A] seems better in this aspect. In , her leg seems rather big at that location, and lacks definition. It seems almost flat, despite the large reflection. That, or it looks expanded much like a balloon, thanks to the reflection.

Also, on both, the right (her left) eye does look a bit odd when zoomed in slightly. Perhaps using a lighter shade for that is in good order?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 07:25:31 am by mixxedstuff »
This is a signature. What it is for, I have no idea.

Pixelshock

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 07:58:17 am
Also just noticed the chest lift in Wayuki's edit, with which I cannot agree in that womanly bossoms do not grow magically on collarbones, as far as I know. Original positioning was better (and neither unpleasingly realistic of anything, after all, these look a 100% implant-variety) in my humble opinion. But the twist on the pelvis, the repositioning and reshaping of the thighs is still a very very good edit.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 08:29:19 am
When I tried to pose like that myself, I noticed that it made my upper body lean back a bit, rather than bend over (like in the original sprite). Because of that, the breasts seem much higher up than normal. Though I might have overdone it a little bit on the edit.  :D

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 04:45:04 pm
NEW><OLD

[ISSUES]
-face still odd
-upper head too big?
- '<' arm too thin
(upper arm ment to be going 'away' from the viewer, lower arm bent and comming towards the viewer slightly)
-'>' foot too small
-both shoes horribly rendered
-ankle area very odd

[COMMENTS]

@Vedsten: Looks like I forgot to tone it down again oops >_< sorry... I think you had a point there

@mixxedstuff: I believe you have a point there, unfortunately I don't have time to redo the entire pose again. In my new edit I think I improve the depth and shading somewhat. The eyes still bother me, I may have made them worse sadly.

@Helm: Yes indeed, those are of the implant species. That resulted as a joke after I initally made them normal/average sized, and everybody kept shouting bigger. So I went bigger to silence the horny ones.

@Wayuki: Thanks sooooooooo much for that edit. It helped me alot...looks so much more natural. I did the best I could to re-emulate that pose. I think I got it fairly close...maybe.

Offline Faceless

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: May 27, 2006, 02:36:41 pm
I think the much darker outline on the gun makes everything look washed out, especially on the grey background.
I also think - whilst undeniably more anatomically correct - the new pose lacks the dynamicy of the old. In the old it seemed as though you were showing us a capture of her in motion... in the new it looks like you've given her a well balanced stance and arbitrarily rendered her hair blowing off to the side.
So for me, Old >(slightly) New. I'm sure however that many will disagree.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 03:46:09 pm
Yeah, I totally disagree, this is way better. Dhaos, I might try to help with the shoes, but I'm not sure what the sole configuration you're trying to render is there, really. Any concept art?

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 04:16:51 pm
@Faceless: I kinda liked the motion better in the first one too, but it doesnt stand a solid piece that you can just look at, art pieces that are ment to show 'static' motion usually have to be overly dynamic to get a proper feel of movement...which I didn't do

@Helm: Glad you liked it more... so close to being finished. Have fun >_<

Uploaded it, offical ssbsomeotheracryonymsattached render art...

sonic_reaper

Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 05:06:28 pm
Her ass/hips are a lot larger in the official artwork.  In fact freakishly so ... her waist is toothpick thin.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2006, 05:08:29 pm by sonic_reaper »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 09:50:10 pm
God, that's an awful design. I'll try the shoes tomorrow, maybe.

ugh. ugh.

Offline Wayuki

• View Profile
    • Wayuki's Place

Reply #26 on: May 29, 2006, 06:23:53 pm
Glad I could help!  :D

The new version looks much better. One thing that could be improved still is the flow of the legs. I especially think the knee should stick out more on her left leg. You have the knee defined with a lot of shading, but it doesn't actually stick out in the outline. Considering the angle, I think it should.

Here's a quick doodle:

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #27 on: May 29, 2006, 06:39:33 pm
more excellent critique!

Offline The Cold Mage

• Allez Cuisine Bitch!
    • View Profile
    • Ice Temple

Reply #28 on: June 02, 2006, 04:35:13 am
i didn't want to say anything, but if i didn't know any better i would say those are fake

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #29 on: June 02, 2006, 10:01:39 pm
Steve doesn't do fake, it's the real thing....