AuthorTopic: Lightning Portarait FF13 (Wip)  (Read 3642 times)

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Lightning Portarait FF13 (Wip)

on: September 03, 2011, 06:08:32 pm
Just a portrait I've been working on.

I haven't done anything in a very long time... Been working on this a while though, just looking for some Crits. I feel the face is almost done.
Gonna be starting on the hair next but I'll probably read some tutorials first as I haven't ever done anything quite like it.

Edit: Here's the link, http://i.imgur.com/iP712.png
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:06:38 pm by I Am Uh »
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline alex pang

• View Profile

Re: Lightning Portarait FF13 (Wip)

Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 09:23:06 pm
The face isn't done at all!
Well I'm not sure if it is a female or male, because Japanese guys like multi-gender stuff :P
But if you look at the nose in your reference and look at the nose in your pixel you can see that your has an strong colored outline and the overall shades are too dark and have a to high contrast. The eyes are misplaced And are too big and have a weird shade under the eyes. And the eyes to have a strong outline, if you wish to follow the style of the Japanese manga, shmanga, anime, magnime you need to pick your pallet more carefully, and study the color transition.
Sorry if I offended you lol.

Offline RedKnight91

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 12:19:30 am
The dithered version looks a lot better, the mouth is good and I like her nose too, but her skin is too brown-ish, and also i quote everything else alex said.
Plus you should fix her chin, it's too big : )
Bear with my poor english, I'm italian!

Offline Candy Man Criminal

• ~Reality is a plague, we're the medication~
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 12:44:49 am
the eyes are too big and open
the lines under the eyes and for the nose are too dark
then chin stick out too much, making it more manly
the eyebrows end too soon and are too dark and thin
shading above the upper lip is a bit too bright

last but not least the colors are off entirely, shes much more pale then what you have
i think you need more light colors to balance it, and your colors in general dont look like skin as they are

the shading is great tho, you just need brighter colors in addition to what you have

Offline I Am Uh

• I feel... Saturated to some degree, out of tone.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 06:42:12 am
Thanks guy, no offense taken. When I said the face is almost done, I wasn't thinking about the eyes and the nose, I'll work one those. The eyes in particular need to be softened, darkened, and re-sized some. The colors aren't off though, the palette is taken from the photo itself, I want to make it have a more yellowish tint but I think it just looks off because the hair isn't colored in yet. Ill post an update soon.
Oh btw, Lightning's a girl... Maybe the chin need's to be softened and re-sized.
They say evil prevails when good men fail to act. What they oughta' say is...
Evil prevails.
 - Yuri Orlov, (Nicholas Cage) "Lord of War"
Mother is God in the eyes of a Child...  - Rose Da Silva (Radha Mitchell) "Silent Hill"

Offline Psiweapon

• View Profile
    • My portfolio

Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 12:08:16 pm
Thanks guy, no offense taken. When I said the face is almost done, I wasn't thinking about the eyes and the nose, I'll work one those. The eyes in particular need to be softened, darkened, and re-sized some. The colors aren't off though, the palette is taken from the photo itself, I want to make it have a more yellowish tint but I think it just looks off because the hair isn't colored in yet. Ill post an update soon.
Oh btw, Lightning's a girl... Maybe the chin need's to be softened and re-sized.

Yes, if you squint your eyes really hard, you'll notice the lines between her chin and cheekbones curve outwards in the original while in your version they curve inwards. And the chin itself protrudes too much in your version.

I also think that it'd be better that you used varying colors for the outline. Well, now I'm noticing it already has black and brown outlines, but I mean several colors on the same line.

Offline r1k

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 08:28:08 pm
I did an edit.  It doesnt really look like the character, but it adresses some of the issues anyways.  Maybe its better that its a bit inaccurate though, that way it doesnt give you all the answers.

what I noticed about yours were that the contrast on the face was too low overall, except in a few places (check the contrast on the cheeks).  The white part of the eyes are too bright.  The philtrum is very odd.  You also might want to closely examine the shapes of the eyes and mouth.  I also noticed in the original some of the shadows are warmer than what you have like under the nose.