AuthorTopic: Locke's bandana...  (Read 4835 times)

Offline happip

• 0 30
    • View Profile
    • Pixélame!

Locke's bandana...

on: May 20, 2006, 10:54:11 pm
Hi! long time no see xD ( I lost all my favourites- including this forum some time ago...)
This was done for a lil contest about scenes from rpg's.

I loved if you let Cid die in FF VI, then Celes, who founds herself alone in an island ( the woman on the pic) tries to commit suicide falling from a cliff.
But she survives and she tries to find the other main characters after she finds Locke's bandana ( the thing the bird has). Awesome, Celes!    : D

I used 33 colors ( didn't really mind color- restrictions) on it. I hope you like it!... I'm horrible at doing sand ( in fact, this was the second time I tried it...)

> edited a bit..
« Last Edit: May 20, 2006, 11:45:36 pm by happip »

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Re: Locke's bandana...

Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 11:21:35 pm
Mostly good technique and i like the colours.

Some crits:

I would lose the selout, it makes no sense whatsoever in a scenepicture without any context of being moving gameart. And It gives a cardboard-cutout effect in certain places.

The clouds look like mountains.

What's with the lenseflare? Lenseflares are silly.

Reflection of the sun would not be seen where it is. It's center would be exactly unde the sun, not next to it.

I think the way you signed it hurts the composition.

That's all. Hope it helps.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Dhaos

• View Profile
    • Crystal Tech Studios

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 04:56:05 am
The scene and concept is very cool, but like ptoing pointed out...those clouds need to look like clouds. I'd also consider highlighting those cliffs in the back with the sunlight/orange. Your perspective is quite good though, especially with keeping celes in proportion. Hmm perhaps you could work on the hair some more, its a bit messy/lumpy right now.

Anyways nice to see you around again =3.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 08:10:50 am
lower legs, bad anatomy. Mishappen. Do you see it? Need an edit? I've put awfully long times in edits for people lately that they seem to disregard, so I'm going ask people if they need them from now on.

Offline happip

• 0 30
    • View Profile
    • Pixélame!

Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 09:21:43 am
Thanks for the crits, concerning the clouds, yeah.. but I'm not very good at doing them ( I try to edit them and they still look like mountains x. x)
The selout was a bit excessive in some places I suppose, but I didn't want the scene to be animated and that stuff (it doesn't look like she's gonna move, it's just a scene.)
I like the lensflare o. o I'm sorry you don't... concerning the sign, why? it's an empty space, there's nothing there...
Do you see it? Need an edit?
Sure : D (I usually have problems with legs and arms, so I'd like to know what's wrong with them)

Offline Nitram

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 09:25:25 am
Well I'd say her calf is almost at her ankle

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 10:44:28 am
in addition to the leg edit, I noticed there's serious issues with lightsource and shading. Rough edit to show point. Check rim light and darkening on front side of figure. Also, projected shadow would be needed. I think these things enhance the emotional qualities of the piece.

other leg only blocked to keep the edit clear

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 12:54:35 pm
About the lenseflare, have you ever seen one in a traditional painting? No? guess why, we don't see lensflares, they are stupid camera artefacts. That is why they should not be in stuff like this, unless you wanna be spoofy and make something like a comical gundam kinda robot with a lensflare over his shoulder.

About the signature. People start reading from the top left just like they read a book (well western people anyways). So when they look at the picture the first thing they see is your quite huge ornamental signature. It distracts from how people view the image. That's why it should not be there.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline happip

• 0 30
    • View Profile
    • Pixélame!

Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 03:12:09 pm

< thanks a lot, Helm. I didn't realiste that xD... and this way it fits even better the scene. oh and I added some reflections on the cliffs as Dhaos said : )

Offline Lick

• Formerly known as JointJunkie! ;)
    • View Profile
    • yup

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 08:50:37 pm
Great piece. I can feel her emotion (not particularly through her face, ;) by looking at the scene. If you have troouble making the lower clouds , I suggest you just make them mountains. =p

Her right leg is still a bit too long.

Pixeling is good. Style is unique-ish. No need to change too much, or it will lose 'your personal touch'.
my ds homebrew blog! - contact me if you're interested to work with me on a ds game.